Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Can't open bonnet even with jumper cables attached

Chrispy996.2

Hi all

i had been meaning for my first post to be all about now much i am enjoying my new 996.2 C2 which i bought just before Christmas - and whilst i really am enjoying the car but by necessity my first post is concerns about a problem!

Sun is shining so wanted to go for a blast. Car flob didn't open the car but i know the car goes into hibernation so thought nothing of it. Unlocked the car on the key, pulled the door handle and the window was already in the 'drop' position - never had that before.

Key in the ignition and let the car do its oil measurement - screen looked a little dull. Went to fire the car up and got a warning light about the rear spoiler and the air bag. Car made no attempt to turn over.

After a trip to Halfords i was back with some jump cables. Read the manual and went about connecting the boot release terminals up to the battery in my other car.

As soon as i connected the negative the alarm went off (as the manual said it would if the door was locked) and no amount of locking and unlocking the door helped - incidentally the passenger door remains locked and is not unlocking when i unlock the drivers door.

so all i can achieve with hooking up the jump cables is making the alarm go off and i still cant get into the bonnet or the boot.

Can anyone offer any advice?

On a more positive note i am loving the car, even more so since i put on a switchable cargraphic exhaust which really elevates the experience and couldn't be more perfect - civilized enough when the vales are closed (when my son and other half are in the car) and utter bliss with the valves are open

Are your jump lead connections good, especially the earth? If you have them connected, are any electrical functions working with the supply from the alternative battery, this should confirm the 12V supply.

The frunk release doesn't take a lot of power so it should be ok if you have good connections.

A good connection is key, make some you get the black lead onto the door hinge/bracket, it can 5mins or so before it will pop, just keep trying it, I did my friends 991.1 last week 👍

If all else fails, is there not a manual release cable hidden behind one of the wheel arch liners?

Sure I've seen a photo of it somewhere.

Have you got a decent battery charger?

If so:

49038325756_a9c670cb9a_c.jpg

49037823753_6acbf54c02_c.jpg

Not that had to get to, not that hard to rig up.

Fingers crossed for you :)

Thanks for the responses

maldren said:
Are your jump lead connections good, especially the earth? If you have them connected, are any electrical functions working with the supply from the alternative battery, this should confirm the 12V supply.

The frunk release doesn't take a lot of power so it should be ok if you have good connections.

i connected my jump leads to the positive in the fuse box with the negative connected to the door catch loop - i am taking the 12v supply from my other car, so can't imagine there is an issue with the supply.

i'll have a look through that FAO thread (thanks T8!) this eve to see if there is anything else but from some of the other responses it might just be a case of trying the negative in a different location, the door hinge or something. Failing that i'll give the manual release cable route a whirl (thanks for the pics arry).

There is a manual release cable under the front near side wheel arch liner similar to the one shown above on near side rear light if it won't open with battery

I had this on my neighbours car. With spare battery hooked up just pulling the switch did not work. Try holding switch on for a little while not just a quick touch. You might also want to try the key button to open the trunk. It worked on his after struggling with the sill switch.

Success! Got the engine lid open using the manual release cable underneath the rear light which i located using a piece of wire wrapped in insultaing tape (to protect the paint work) which i bent into a hook - it was a doddle.

Once the engine lid was open i was able to charge the battery no problem.

Given the battery managed to flatten itself within a week (somewhat randomly as its been left for longer and in colder weather previously) i will give some thought to getting a trickle charger which i was hoping to avoid as the car lives outside on my drive

Chrispy996.2 said:
Success! Got the engine lid open using the manual release cable underneath the rear light which i located using a piece of wire wrapped in insultaing tape (to protect the paint work) which i bent into a hook - it was a doddle.

Once the engine lid was open i was able to charge the battery no problem.

Given the battery managed to flatten itself within a week (somewhat randomly as its been left for longer and in colder weather previously) i will give some thought to getting a trickle charger which i was hoping to avoid as the car lives outside on my drive

Great news :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluellen
Back