Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Can you recommend a battery booster?

mikezulu

Trainee
Any recommendations for a portable battery booster / starter? Ideally < £100

Like many, I imagine, I've not done a lot of mileage during the pandemic and though I have a trickle charger / conditioner I don't always remember to connect it. The burglar alarm / immobiliser seems to drain the battery fairly quickly (though my battery is due for replacement).

Cheers

I paid £99 in Halfords for a NOCO booster last year and it's an awesome bit of kit.

Battery booster

Hi, I bought a Talex starter battery a few years ag and have nothing but praise for it. Haven't used it on the Porsche yet, but I had a Golf VR6 with a completely flat battery and it started it straight away, the battery was so flat that the engine stopped when I disconnected the Talex battery! It has started other cars with completely flat battery - so flat that they won't even unlock the car. I'm not sure if that is still available now, but something like the Noco 1000A battery should be good, £99 on Amazon, but I'd probably steer clear of cheap ones.

T8 said:
I paid £99 in Halfords for a NOCO booster last year and it's an awesome bit of kit.

:agree:

I recently bought one of these for my daily driver (Auto diesel). Great for emergencies!

NOCO Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Portable Lithium Jump Starter, Car Battery Booster Pack, And Jump Leads For Up To 6-Liter Gasoline And 3-Liter Diesel Engines - I waited for a discount and it dropped to £66.49 on Black Friday.

T8 said:

I have the same, super handy!!! Mine got used a fair bit too on the track car so it defo works and is very small

Telwin Drive 9000

I've got a Telwin Drive 9000 which has been very useful for helping to start engines with poor batteries or a connection issue, whether at home or at the track.

https://www.telwin.com/en/prodotti/?id=829565&lingua=E

We started a Volvo Penta D4300 boat engine with it, to the surprise of the mechanic (and that runs 4x main 12v batteries). To put that in context its a cast iron 3.7 litre turbo diesel marine engine with a dry weight of 580kg.

A friend of mine got the Telwin 12000 for a similar price in a sale, now roughly 130eur around here.

I'm also interested in getting a booster pack but like the different makes of battery tender, reviews are very mixed.

Many users are full of praise others say they are a waste of money, and that can be across different makes.

All a bit worrying, especially if you only discover how good - or poor - in an emergency.

Les Richards said:
I'm also interested in getting a booster pack but like the different makes of battery tender, reviews are very mixed.

Many users are full of praise others say they are a waste of money, and that can be across different makes.

All a bit worrying, especially if you only discover how good - or poor - in an emergency.

Thank heavens for 911uk then.

3 recent positive reviews for the NOCO 1000 from people you know actually exist. :wink:

I bought a NOCO GB20 500A booster, it's worked a treat on everything I've used it on (3.0 BMW Z4 & 5-series as well as recharging iPhones 😉). It cost me £80 from Halfords. I didn't see the point in getting a bigger and more expensive one myself giving that it is only for an emergency, I don't drive that much and if it can't be jumped by that then I'll just use my roadside recovery.

I've not had to use it on the 911 but can't see why it wouldn't work just as well.

It helped me cover 4-miles on a dead battery and knackered alternator in the dark a couple of years back, so for that alone I will always hold it in high regard!

Bought the Porsche one a few months ago and has been faultless.

Remote said:
Bought the Porsche one a few months ago and has been faultless.

Are you referring to the Battery Conditioner - a Porsche badged CTEK unit. :?:

A battery booster is a different piece of kit designed to jump start a depleted/dead battery.

Late reply but this video is super useful where many brands are tested including the NOCO ones. I ended up getting the Audew branded one as a result of this video which I had to import from the states and ended up being a fair bit more expensive than the NOCOs but I think well worth it. Have used it twice already. Once on a stangers merc who were stuck blocking a pretrol station and once on the 997 when I left it sitting too long over covid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8A2nIMUWA&t=1161s

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manx100red
Back