Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Can I turn off tpms?

Jason Taylor

Montreal
I've had multiple issues with my tpms and have decided rather than spending more money it's not worth it and I'd like to turn it off, question is what would I need to facilitate this?

Tia

Jason

Hi Jason, I believe that the TPMS can't be turned off as such.
There are wireless pressure sensors in the wheels that can be removed, you would then need to put in a different valve assy so that your tyres will stay up.
The sensors normally cause a problem when the batteries are old, you could replace the sensors and that may rectify the problems your having.
One of the sensors might have been damaged when the tyres were changed/fitted
Generally if I have a problem with mine I just go into the TPMS settings and change the wheel setting from Summer to Winter and back again and that resets it.

easternjets said:
Hi Jason, I believe that the TPMS can't be turned off as such.
There are wireless pressure sensors in the wheels that can be removed, you would then need to put in a different valve assy so that your tyres will stay up.
The sensors normally cause a problem when the batteries are old, you could replace the sensors and that may rectify the problems your having.
Generally if I have a problem with mine I just go into the TPMS settings and change the wheel setting from Summer to Winter and back again and that resets it.

I thought maybe it could be disabled using some sort of ODB2 device. Maybe not the cheap £20-100 ones but the £800-1000 sets that do pretty much everything

easternjets said:

I changed the sensors when I changed the wheels a few months back, they are very erratic, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, sometimes the rears will display as the front and vice versa, I appreciate it's probably the sensors but I'm reticent to change them again if it turns out to be the control unit and tbh I'm not that fussed, I may give the lads at D&G a call to see if they have the software to disable it. I think I'm at the point where I'm sick of seeing that red exclamation mark on the dash.

Yes you might be able to, you do need the Porsche computer when you change the sender units as they have to coded into the ECU.
It's going to be a Sender unit that's duff.

TPMS can be disabled via PIWIS.

Of course it's a safety item, so I doubt Porsche OPC will do it, you'll probably need an indy.
Might technically be an MOT fail as you've disabled a factory safely system, but in practice as long as there is no warning / error displayed it's not a fail iirc.

Hth

OPC can disable tpms.The hardware module on my GT3 needed to be disconnected to be able to do this.

easternjets said:

What a shout!!!

I've always tried just resetting when on summer tyres to summer tyres. I changed from summer tyres to winter tyres and it seems to have sorted the issue, I've had the car out three times now and it seems to be retaining the information, I'm hopeful that it's sorted now.

Thanks for the help

It does sound like the wheels have been off and maybe swopped .. learning mode and they will relearn .

To access learning mode i often change the settings to say winter tyres .. then go back to the correct ones after learning mode is activated .

learning mode with any TPMS fault is the first point of call .

Batteries in the sensors .. expected life is 5 years .. 8 is about the normal .

You can't replace the batterys .. it's a new unit as they are built into them .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steviepee
Back