Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cab vs Coupe

uuf361

I am off to look at a 996 Cab on Saturday and had not considered these much before as the prices were normally that much higher than the coupe versions, but this one is about the same (most likely due to the time of year I guess).

Does anyone who has had both versions think there is much to consider in terms of having a cab for an everyday driver ?

I suppose my only concern would be the increased wind noise with the roof but assume Porsche are fairly good at keeping this to a minimum ?

Also, would buying a hardtop retrospectively present many issues matching paint wise. The car is an 04 so not that old........

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34676

Hmm- never been a fan of cabs, but thats just my personal opinion.

Colour matching the roof shouldnt be a prob for a good painter, but bear in mind you need somewhere to store the roof and you may need to buy a special stand for it? More ££££'s

If you like cabs, go for it. good luck.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34677

didn't 996 cabs came with the hardtop as standard tho?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34678

996's have a hard top as standard

i have 2 hard top stands if you want one £130 each

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34680

Mmmm, it's not advertised as having a hard top, but may find this out when I go see this w/e........

Anyone know how much to get a hardtop ? They appear to be an option of £1,583 on the 997, so I had assumed this was the case with the 996 ?

Should I get it, the hardtop stand at £130 I would definitely have Mark.....

This car is still under official warranty (9 months left), but I am still minded to get an independent inspection completed, does anyone think I am mad - I would rather pay the £300 for total confidence that it is not a wreck..........

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34684

Even with warranty, i'd say a PPI is a good idea.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34688

I should say that the absence (if indeed it is absent) of the hard top is a useful bargaining chip.

Defo go for an inspection- will undoubtedly pay for itself, and might, just might, stop you buying a howler...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34691

I would go with a PPI. Not only will it provide peace of mind that the car is not a wreck, but will also allow you to haggle on the asking price, or get repair work done as part of the deal.

996 cabs will always come with a hardtop as it is supplied as standard when new. I would expect an advert to state if it was missing on these cars.

Personally I love my cab. Wind noise has been eliminated to a great extent. Enough to make it a non issue for me. The only minor problem on mine is that the plastic rear window has a few stuborn marks on it (purely cosmetic issue). However, it sounds as though you are looking at a facelift model which has a glass rear screen, so this won't be a problem.

Costs between the two being equal (as in your case), I would guess the choice between coupe or cab comes down asthetics. If you like the look ... go for it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34693

This car is being sold by the independent on behalf of a company who they do a lot of business with and as such I don't think they know all the stuff that comes with it as when I called yesterday it was not even on site!!!!

A proper look on Saturday should reveal all and I have now seen about a dozen various 996's so know what I like and don't and have certain things to check for, but again the PPI should do all that for me at a later stage. Should I contact of the PPI people now to give them a heads up ?

Assuming I like it (and this is where it gets difficult) should I negotaate a price subject to a clean inspection or say subject to inspection then negotiate ?

Trouble is, I am viewing Saturday and then heading to the US on Sunday for 2.5 weeks for work so this is bad timing but at such a good deal I would not want to miss it by waiting until I came back on the off chance it was still for sale........

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34698

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by uuf361 on 04 October 2005

Assuming I like it (and this is where it gets difficult) should I negotaate a price subject to a clean inspection or say subject to inspection then negotiate ?
Not sure of the best way of doing this. The twice I have bought with inspections I have negotiated a deal subject to a clean inspection, and with an understanding that I expect any issues to be dealt with.

Obviously though, they will never agreed to put right 1000s of pounds worth of problems, but I guess you would walk away at that point anyway.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34703

if its an 04 plate.......should it not still be covered under the makers warranty????.....so therefore anything seriously amiss should be covered by Porsche.....if not then itrs probably worthwhile getting the Porsche "used" car warranty after its PPI

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34704

It is indeed covered by the manufacturers warranty so anything amjor would be ccovered by them, but the inspection should also help me determine whether it has been mistreated in its short life which I guess is always a possibility.

Thinking that negotiating a price subject to clean inspection would be the best way to go.

I have now found out the hardtop is included which is a bonus. How hard should I bargain. I'm hoping to get £1,000 of the asking price - realistic ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34729

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by uuf361 on 04 October 2005

It is indeed covered by the manufacturers warranty so anything amjor would be ccovered by them, but the inspection should also help me determine whether it has been mistreated in its short life which I guess is always a possibility.

Thinking that negotiating a price subject to clean inspection would be the best way to go.

I have now found out the hardtop is included which is a bonus. How hard should I bargain. I'm hoping to get £1,000 of the asking price - realistic ?

well especially as its near enough winter time.......go in for the jugular.........afterall how many ppl out there will be looking to buy a cab at this time of year let alone a nearly new premium motor.......thats also effectively an old-shape model

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34732

This is partly why I think it is keenly priced as its being sold at the wrong time of the year traditionally, but there loss could be my gain.

Have looked at Peter Morgan's website re an inspection, looks comprehensive. does anyone have any experience ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34740

The residual of the manufacturers warranty is a nice bit to have and as long as you speak to Porsche OPC before its up (a month or two) then you'll be able to extend it without paying for the 111 point check. The PPI should tell you about any 'comsumables' bits not covered by warranty which may need replacing etc and this could be your bargaining angle. A few people find the hard top a pain but almost exclsuively they're folks with limited space to store and or get fed up with taking off/putting back on the roof regularly. I would have thought that it would be sensible to have it in situ for the mucky months of the year if it spends any length of time out of doors to keep the soft top protected as much as possible. When its off, do the usual thing of avoiding trees, trees and birds, seagulls etc. and it'll stay in good condition. Having recently changed from cab to coupe, only because the cab at the time was out of my price range, the only complaint comes from Mrs H who misses the roof down when you can????

ah well

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34802

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markyt911c4s
Back