Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4S Header Tank Removal/Refit

TVRTONY

Hi everyone
I have noticed after relatively long drives when I park the car I am losing water. At first I thought it was coming from the overflow as it was dripping around the exhaust area. I have later found out the 996 suffers from splits in the Header tank and when hot and under pressure I am more likely to witness the problem.

Can anyone advise the best way to remove the header tank whilst still retaining most of the skin on my knuckles and hands as thee doesn't seem to be much room and a bit fiddly.

Your help would be appreciated, cheers guys
:?:

Remove as much as possible around that area, coolant pipes, air pump etc to give you some room, you will also need to drop the engine on its mounts about an inch by winding the nuts down, just remember to support the engine as you lower it.

infrasilver said:
Remove as much as possible around that area, coolant pipes, air pump etc to give you some room, you will also need to drop the engine on its mounts about an inch by winding the nuts down, just remember to support the engine as you lower it.

I was hoping I wasn't going to get a reply mentioning the engine, will probably give it to garage on that basis as don't have the equipment.

TVRTONY said:
infrasilver said:

I was hoping I wasn't going to get a reply mentioning the engine, will probably give it to garage on that basis as don't have the equipment.

All you need is a trolley jack and a deep reach 19mm (i think) socket and extension. :?:

infrasilver said:
TVRTONY said:
infrasilver said:

All you need is a trolley jack and a deep reach 19mm (i think) socket and extension. :?:[/quote

Thanks but I will use the info for the garage just in case they have not done one before as I'm likely (knowing me) to cause more problems even though it might be an easy job.

Still a mare of a job, even dropping the engine off it`s mounts. :x

chaser said:
Still a mare of a job, even dropping the engine off it`s mounts. :x

For such a common problem why so difficult?

May be worth fitting a new cap first. I had some water loss and this fixed it, so far....

toobusy said:
May be worth fitting a new cap first. I had some water loss and this fixed it, so far....

It's defo coming from underneath the tank and not from top but will be changing cap as well already purchased both. Car as never overheated but makes me rather paranoid about driving it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blueteddybear
Back