Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C2S vs C4S Driving Conditions

Hi everyone. Looking to buy a good LHD 993 C2S/C4S. For those in the know, would you mind sharing with me which one would you go for (as far as how they drive is concerned). Also, how does the driving compare to their respective counterparties without the "S" denomination? If anyone has any dealer I should start my search, pls let me know. Thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109257

Both are great cars, I can only speak for the C2S which is 'edgier' than the 4wd counterpart. It really comes down to what/how you are using the car, i.e. daily driver or not. In the wet you need to respect the 2S whereas the 4S is much better I believe. Are you going to track it? etc etc. The narrow body probably handles a bit better but IMHO the wide body looks the biz.

Whatever you choose you wont be disappointed (get a PPI, read all the posts etc) and theres a lot of helpful and friendly 993 drivers here! Good luck

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109265

Hi and welcome to the forum.

From a driving perspective purists consider the NB M030 equiped 993 C2 to be the best 993 variant after the 993 RS. 993 C4 is a better all weather car - if you intend to do alot of wet weather driving buy a C4. In my opinion the C2 feels a bit more communicative and lively than the C4, so if you're unlikey to do much bad weather driving buy a C2.

The S models are a bit more complicated. C2S is basically a C2 with the wide body - as standard they had M033, a comfort orientated lowered chassis, 17" cups (though most were spec'd with hollow 18" Technologys) and a colour coded split rear grille.

The C4S is a Turbo without the engine and fixed rear spoiler - that is, you get M030 sports chassis, big reds, full leather interior and more standard equipment.

The widebody cars are considered fractionally less sharp than the NB cars, but gain spectacular looks!

Ultimately the differences between NB and WB, and C2 and C4 cars are subtle and all depends on what you desire. The NB C2 will be the sharpest, C4 NB will be a bit safer, so better in all weathers. C2S is a bit of a posuers 993 with it's supple but low slung ride and wide rear. C4S is a sporty and secure drive, if a little lardy, but it's probably one of the most desireable 993s out there.

I can't fault your LHD requirement though. Compared to the above subtle differences, LHD for me makes the biggest difference to the purity of the 993 drive! It's what it was designed to be!

Good luck with your search.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109267

Advantages of a 4 ...

If it is wet/damp and the back end looses traction whilst you are on the power the front will help to pull you out where as in the 2 you'll have to correct it yourself. Most helpfull if you are coming out of a corner under too much power when this happens.

In the dry the backend won't step out in either 2 or 4 under power so you won't notice any difference.

If you go into a corner too fast resulting in understeer and have to lift off sharp it doesn't matter whether you are in a 2 or a 4 in a 993 as neither will save you. The 4 doesn't stop people going through hedges backwards due to mid corner lift off. For that you'll need a 996 or newer fitted with PASM.

Advantages of a 2 ...

Sharper front end, better turn in, less understeer. Better steering feel ... feels more connected to the road. The constant change of power between front and rear on a 4 can make the balance of the car harder to understand where as on the 2 you know how it is going to behave.

The performance differences between 2,4 and S models aren't really noticable on the road but the handling characteristics between 2 and 4 are so drive both before you decide.

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109274

Unless you need to drive it in all conditions, go for 2wd every day.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109275

I've had a brief drive of a 993 C4 on a track a while ago, back to back with my own C2.

C4 had a slightly heavier steering, feels more planted and stable. Like a GT kind of way.

C2 was more agile, sharper steering response and feels more connected.

Which one suits you depends on use and personal preferrance. But, I'd imagine on road speed, doubt there'll be much difference.

Unless you want to drive on/near limit in the rain all the time, C2 gets my vote.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109299

Thank you very much guys, that is very useful. I do not plan to be using the car on harsh weather conditions much, so I guess I am better of with a C2S. My budget is around 33K. Is that realistic? Thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109487

A really nice 993C2S from a dealer will be £37K'ish, privately you might get one for £33K'ish if you are lucky, I'd budget £35K private, £38K dealer, if you get any change, use it to spruce up the car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110883

Just out of interest, is there a particular reason for wanting a 993? You could get a really nice 996 on that budget - 300 or 320bhp, a little bit less weight, more civilised on the road, PSM if you want it for road driving (switch it off for more fun on track)...

I've had both (C4 admittedly) and whilst the 993 has the better shape and is the 'purists' choice because of the air-cooled engine, the 996 is quicker, handles better, and is much, much, much more civilised on the road (the air-conditioning actually works for example!)

I may be wrong, but I really can't see values of 993s holding indefinitely at their current levels... They have been artificially propped up by nostalgia and scaremongering about early 996 engine failures, but unless you keep it mint and don't drive it, I think prices will crash when most of them get a bit tatty and have done 100k +.

Also, you can no longer get a Porsche warranty on a 993 (too old) and I'm told by a very reliable source that roughly the same percentage of engine failures have been claimed under warranty for both 993 & 996!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110885

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Wattie on 20 January 2007

... They have been artificially propped up by nostalgia and scaremongering about early 996 engine failures, but unless you keep it mint and don't drive it, I think prices will crash when most of them get a bit tatty and have done 100k +.
Wattie - I strongly disagree, prices are high purely on the basis of supply and demand and we've discussed this on the forum about how few there are. IMHO scaremongering about 996 has nothing to do with 993 buyers...they go for the shape, pure and simple (intentional pun!) :lol:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110893

any particular reason why you want a left hand drive. i have a rhd c2s 53400 miles 3 owner car and a very good spec that i will sell for 30000 thou down side for some is its a tiptronic. but having said that thats the reason i bought it, very easy to drive

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110896

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Wattie on 20 January 2007

I've had both (C4 admittedly) and whilst the 993 has the better shape and is the 'purists' choice because of the air-cooled engine, the 996 is quicker, handles better, and is much, much, much more civilised on the road (the air-conditioning actually works for example!)

I may be wrong, but I really can't see values of 993s holding indefinitely at their current levels... They have been artificially propped up by nostalgia and scaremongering about early 996 engine failures, but unless you keep it mint and don't drive it, I think prices will crash when most of them get a bit tatty and have done 100k +.

Also, you can no longer get a Porsche warranty on a 993 (too old) and I'm told by a very reliable source that roughly the same percentage of engine failures have been claimed under warranty for both 993 & 996!

A few points. Not everyone wants civilised. I want character, to feel my senses being aroused (ooh err) to feel I've got to drive, respect and enjoy the intensity. It may be slower and ultimately less capable, but for me it has more soul.

Secondly, I don't see prices crashing unless demand falls through the floor - and given the following the 911 enjoys, this is highly unlikely. Every car on the market has poor examples - these will always be worth less, but even this is relative - tatty 993 still fetch significant sums.

The 996 engine failures are not scare mongering, they are fact. I've heard this point about % failure rates of 993s being equivalent to 996s being quoted several times, but simply don't believe it. I'm not saying 993 failures don't happen, but they are very very rare. The top techie at Northway used to be the senior techies at Porsche Reading - he laughed out loud when I mentioned this % equivalence. And I tend to agree - when was the last time you read a 993 engine failing on one of these internet forums? It's not a scientific representation I agree, but 996 issues come up very frequently, and it's not just about the number of units sold.

2p ker-plunk.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110906

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny-g
Back