Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C2 Advice

Ray

Monza
Morning all

Went to have a proper look at a C2 I recently viewed.

96N Varioram in very good condition with 55K on the clock.

A couple of minor niggles, tiny scuff/tear on drivers seat bolster, and what would appear to be the slightest bit of corrosion (No brown area yet) around the top of the A pillar and the windscreen rubber.

It also needs two new tyres (Conti sport N1 225-55ZR17)

Any ideas on the long term costs to correct the corrosion, and are N1 conti sports still available and at what price.

Any experiences of the above would be appreciated.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28860

tyre sizes for 17's

front : 205/50/17

rear : 255/40/17

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28884

Typo by me

Should have read 255/40/ZR17, have had a price of £275 for the pair fitted, but N2 not N1. I suppose you can't get N1's now?

Would this matter if there are N1,s on the front and N2,s on the rear?

I don't really want to change all 4 as the fronts have 4-5mm on them.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28886

not really... I have n1 on the front & n2 on the rear, although 'they' say never to mix, but as long as the same sets are on the either end.....

higher the N number the better...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28887

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 23 May 2005

not really... I have n1 on the front & n2 on the rear, although 'they' say never to mix, but as long as the same sets are on the either end.....

higher the N number the better...

As I understand it, the higher the N number doesn't make it better. Let say tire company comes out with Type X tire, Porsche test it and gives it N1 rating. 2 year down the line the same tire company comes out with Type X ver2, Porsche tests it again and gives it N2 and so on. Now Tire company comes out with all new type Z's, Porsche tests it and gives it N1 again and the process starts all over again. So one companys N4's may not be as good as another companies newer N1's. Well thats my understanding on how the N rating works anyway!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28903

yes.. my one liner was a bit vague !

meaning, per the same tyre brand and model...

based on the assumption that over time newer tyre technology is incorporated, as one would expect... so assuming this a Michelin Pilot Sport N3 is better then the Michelin Pilot Sport N0, although nothing wrong with the N0..

likewise on my car I am running Conti Sport Contact N1 up front and Conti Sport Contact 2's on the rear which are N2.. Sport Contact 2 replaced the original Sport Contact in the Conti range and from the tyre spec and design the Sport Contact 2 benefits from newer technology & design, etc

mixing tyre makes is a no no in my book...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28906

Going back a little

The guy selling the car has now taken it to an OPC regarding the signs of corrosion around the top of the windscreen seal. They are forwarding the details to Porsche uk to see if they will put it right under the 10yr warranty, as it is a known problem.

So I will wait and see what the outcome is before I negotiate further.

But given some of the comments I have read on here before regarding Porsche customer care.....I don't hold out much hope.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28984

Ray

I mananged to get minor corrosion at the bottom corners of the front windscreen on my 993 sorted under the 10 yr warranty. FYI it took Porsche circa. 4 - 5 months to process the warrant claim and approve. If you like the car suggest you negotiate on the basis that the claim will be denied, if it isapproved later will be a bonus. Unless the service book has every years bodywork inspection stamped up chances are the claim will be turned down, also a full FPSH helps!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28985

JonH

I hear what you say, but this corrosion is at the top of the A pillar adjacent to the roof section.

I just think that it could be a costly repair because they would have to either blend the paint into the roof section (Difficult) or do the whole roof?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29020

Unusual it's at the top - most cases are at the bottom due to water collecting in the corners under the seal Maybe walk away from this one then unless you can pick it up at a bargain £ factoring in any work required. Wouldn't hold your breath for a fast response from Porsche though. There are lots of good 993 out there - the right car could be just round the corner!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29049

If only I could find one of these good ones. :(

The search continues

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29057

Ray...

That was actually a hint which you haven't picked up on!... :D

....yet!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29059

I thought you might take the bait!!!!!!!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29064

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
246dbo
Back