Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying in Germany?

Parts

Banned
I know a few of you guys have bought LHDs via importers, but has any just gone to Germany and bought a car from a dealership themselves and brought it back to the UK?

If so, what is involved on the duty side and do you save anything off the price that OPCs in Germany offer there cars at?

This is the example I was looking at:

Black/Cocao Turbo

I quite like the combo, but shame about the wood.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84834

Not a Porsche, but I did buy a fully RHD UK spec Merc some years ago from a dealer in Bavaria, registered it in Germany and ran it here and abroad on the German plates. When I came to re-register here as a personal import I think all I paid was the difference in the German (16%?) and UK (17.5%) VAT. Total saving was in the order of 30%. This was a few years back and I think the whole deal is much simpler now, I know that the manufacturers offer direct purchase schemes where you can collect you motor at the factory - someone here must have done this ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84839

Is it the same with secondhand cars?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84842

Sundeep bought his targa from Germany - he's yer man.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84844

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Fuchs on 25 October 2006

Sundeep bought his targa from Germany - he's yer man.
So I need the genius of admin!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84845

Fuchs - the VAT is shown as "Ausweisbar" - doesn't this mean it will be shown separately - may be additional ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84847

Chris - as I understand, now we are all part of the EC Happy Family, you just buy the car and bring it back - as it's 2nd hand no duty is applicable ? The only question would be over the mWst/VAT issue, and if you pay the German VAT then, I think, there will be little or no VAT issue here.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84851

How to Permanently Import Your Vehicle into Great Britain is available from your local registration office or by ringing 0171 202 4087. Value Added Tax Motor Vehicles—Intra-EC Movements By Private Persons is available from HM Customs and Excise, Central Processing Unit, Parcel Post Depot, Charlton Green, Dover, Kent CT 16 1EH.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84857

"ausweisbar" does not have anything to do with VAT included or excluded, it means that the VAT is displayed seperately to tell that the VAT has been paid. So if you e.g. export a car from Germany to any other non EU country, you can get the displayed VAT back at the frontier (but you have to pay the tax of the destinating country, which can be higher or lower).

Full explanation here -
http://dict.leo.org/forum/viewUnsolvedquery.php?idThread=155335&idForum=1&lp=ende&lang=de

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84859

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dave Maguire on 25 October 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 25 October 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dave Maguire on 25 October 2006

Chris

Are you looking for LHD or RHD? I can offer you free advice on either and point you in the right dirction

Cheers

Dave
You thinking of possibilities/practicalities at the moment. Would probably be LHD - was just wondering if you can walk into any German OPC or independant and buy a car really. I will probably take you up on that offer in the future Dave.

Thanks.

No problem! you can basically just walk in and buy one!
And €60,000 seems to give you a lot of choice!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84905

chris, bit tied up right now but I'll put in a long reponse later, if that's ok

regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84910

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 25 October 2006

regards
No problem mate - I will need a while to save up!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84912

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 25 October 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 25 October 2006

regards
No problem mate - I will need a while to save up!
You've got three hours :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84924

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markevo6
Back