Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Broken spring

rob_p

Suzuka
Hi all
So it looks like I have a broken suspension spring. Unfortunately I can't check today as I dropped the car off at my indy on Friday but I found a piece on the drive yesterday which is suspect will match my car when I call him. Looks like it probably came from the front.

Key question i was interested in is whether this opens up some upgrade and/or lowering options. If I need to have some work done anyway should I be considering any non standard options?
My car is an early C2 so no pasm etc and as far as I know is on totally standard suspension.

I have seen the lowering spring kits for around £350 - does anyone have any experience of these?
Any recommendations for replacement of standard?
I guess if I do anything different I will need to do all four so it becomes a bigger job?

Thanks in advance.
Rob

No idea. Just thought Id throw in my useless tuppence worth - £350 seems quite high. I lost a spring on my M3 and it cost about £30 if I remember rightly.

rob_p said:
So it looks like I have a broken suspension spring.

Broken springs seem to happen quite often on 997s.....Why not on earlier cars? Did they (the bean-counters) change the composition of springs to a lesser material or something?

~ Maxie :frustrated:

Don't forget to replace both springs.
Lowering springs wouldn't be an option for me. They are too uncomfortable.
Most of the broken springs I have heart about were based on corrosion. So it might be that they changed the material slightly. Unfortunately in the wrong direction. :D

Just to finish this one off. Car is now all sorted - turns out both front springs were broken. I am still waiting for the bill but I think the springs were roughly £170 plus the labour to fit. I has some issues with the ride on my car so hopefully this may improve things..... :grin:
Car was also mot'd with no advisories so that's good.

Roll on the next few upgrade tasks over the winter months.

I just had my car lowered and got it back yesterday. I bought the TechArt lowering spring kit £450 from Tech9. The car looks fantastic now as I felt it looked a little high before. The ride is a little bit more form but after an hour driving in it it feels fine now. Corners much better than before as well. And most importantly I haven't had any problems with speed bumps.

I will be selling my old springs if you are interested, from a 997 Turbo with only 17k miles. But I would recommend the TechArt springs.

Sausage said:
No idea. Just thought Id throw in my useless tuppence worth - £350 seems quite high. I lost a spring on my M3 and it cost about £30 if I remember rightly.
M3 springs are £80 and 15 minutes to fit.

I'm not sure what relevence BMW springs have things, but the OP was referring to a complete kit consisting of four springs. I know because I saw them when looking but decided to go for the TechArt. Also I'd never replace one spring, at least in pairs.

rob_p said:
Just to finish this one off. Car is now all sorted - turns out both front springs were broken. I am still waiting for the bill but I think the springs were roughly £170 plus the labour to fit. I has some issues with the ride on my car so hopefully this may improve things..... :grin:
Car was also mot'd with no advisories so that's good.

Roll on the next few upgrade tasks over the winter months.

Didn't see this post! Oops

Looks like the cost of springs did not come with the usual Porsche Tax as a comparison to the M3 costs.

Just in case anyone follows this thread with a similar issue....

I bought my car around May and found the suspension very "crashy" at low speeds - in particular the back end over speed bumps etc.
I had an inspection done when I bought it and following the purchase a major service at an Indy which included a "good look over". I even asked about the harsh ride at low speeds. The Indy assured me the car was A1 and he had test driven it - this was how they drove.
Having had a boxster before I was not 100% convinced but carried on regardless.
Having found the broken spring coil after I dropped it off at my other Indy (nice to have a choice) I asked him to specifically check.
Both front springs were broken which were duly replaced - his view is at least one had been broken for some time.
The result - the ride is transformed - speed bumps a specially are now almost like a normal car. MASSIVE improvement and I can now start to properly enjoy my car.
I wonder how often this goes undiagnosed?
Rob

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluellen
Back