Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Broken dipstick update, also fitted 3rd rad

grandadg90

Well checked my oil and when pulling the dipstick out the plastic orange tip has come off and is either stuck in the guide tube or has fallen into the sump.

Firstly I am wanting to remove the dipstick guide tube, any hints on this?

Once I have eliminated that the tip is not in the guide tub, I will then remove the sump.

Any help would be appreciated?

Hi There

I do not have anything on the end of my dipstick (fnarr fnarr) but if there was and it fell into the tube and thereafter the oil tank you would be draining the oil tank and not the engine as such. Also if you have run the engine (which it should have been if you are checking the oil) then it will already be in the filter so no worries really.

On re reading I can see that perhaps you mean some of the dipstick handle has broken off. I would be surprised if that managed to get back into the tube. Are you sure it has not fallen into the engine somewhere? Does the dipstick go back into the tube without hitting anything?

On further re reading I can now see that I am on the 996 forum, and not the 993 forum where I usually live. Please ignore all the above!

All the best

Berni

No worries Benie, appreciate you taking the time out to reply to my post.

Just updating my findings, thought i would tackle this issue. So last week got out the old tool set and set about removing the dipstick guide tube. Had to remove the TB, the horizontal air flow pipes. Also had the loosen the inlet manifold on the passenger side to release the guide tube.

20130729_201727_zpse98fdbe2.jpg

Once the guide tube was release, i found the end of the dipstick still inside the guide tube. It is not physically possible for the dipstick to fall through due to the shape of the end of the guide tube.

20130730_103306_zps91fd3a5e.jpg

Guide tube reinserted with new dipstick and all is well.

Also while i was at it decided to add a third radiator. Pics to follow.

So decided to remove the bumper and clean my rads. Jet washed them, both were quite clean. Passenger side condensor was past its best so replaced it. As the cars temperature was slightly higher than id like I thought id fit a 3rd rad. Downloaded instructions from pelicanparts and followed them to the letter.

20130820_170409_zps98fb75ca.jpg

Picture of the centre rad.

20130821_091951_zpsd211f9ac.jpg

Picture of centre rad and condensor fitted.

20130821_091927_zps85c06ca0.jpg

Hi Grandagd, I did a similar 3rd radiator fitment last month to my car. I see you have still have the pipe conjoining the left and right rads (like I have); will you be disconnecting this by any chance? Once the new rad has been fitted, I cannot see any purpose for it.

Any thoughts.....?

~ Maxie :?:

Maxie said:
Hi Grandagd, I did a similar 3rd radiator fitment last month to my car. I see you have still have the pipe conjoining the left and right rads (like I have); will you be disconnecting this by any chance? Once the new rad has been fitted, I cannot see any purpose for it.

Any thoughts.....?

~ Maxie :?:

If you mean the small diameter aluminium pipe (maybe 15mm o.d.) with the black hose curving down from either end of it, that's an A/C refrigerant pipe.
It needs to be there regardless of the centre rad.

D'oh, thanks for putting me right!

~ Maxie :duh:

Yep thats the AC pipe.

Next job will be a new water pump as a matter of course, don't want to see my pump explode spectacularly as it did on my previous 996, when water/steam sprayed out everywhere while driving, bearing had gone.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YJY
Back