Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake problems? 996 turbo

melodasi

Hi,
911 brakes are supposed to be great but I need to push a little harder for the car to stop, the pads are fine, the rotor are fine, oil level, etc, what else can I check?

Cheers

Has your car been fitted with "harder" track-day pads, maybe?

They would not be as immediately responsive as the OEM pads for the Turbo, but more fade-resistant and allow better modulation. Tastes differ, so they wouldn't be every one's cup of tea.

Another possibility could be a failing vacuum servo unit.

"They all do that, Sir!"*

996 and 997 brakes are servo assisted (hence allowing ABS/PSM), they are just not highly assisted and hence may feel stiff. (they are four or six pots remember)

They may feel a bit "wooden", but that is probably being cruel. Modern cars, since AUDI went mad with over-assistance a decade or so ago, and require almost ballerina delicacy not to go through the windscreen.

We have got used to these. The "stiff" pedal will ironically give you more feel, better linearity and most importantly a decent platform to perfom heal-and-toe!

* of course this all depends on each of our definitions of "harder" is. It could still be that your master cylinder is FUBAR!

Ok, thanks, maybe I should just drive another one to see if mine is normal.

melodasi said:
Ok, thanks, maybe I should just drive another one to see if mine is normal.

I assumed on first reading your post that you were familiar with Porsche brakes, but now somehow finding them different in feel on a particular Porsche which is new to you.
If it's your first Porsche then it'll be as GT4 wrote. You just need to get accustomed to the different philosophy which Porsche applies to braking systems.
They are as all sports car brakes should be: Laid out to resist fade under heavy use and to provide the driver with more feel for what's happening at the wheels so that he can better modulate the braking effect.

When I first got my 996 Turbo I had the same 'wooden' feel with my brakes. After reading alot on the internet, and everyone saying the same thing about how you have to give that extra push on the brakes until you get used to them.

So I did that, only after a few weeks of ownership I can to the conclussion that these where the worst brakes that I have ever used!

I booked the car in with my local Indie (George McMillen) who sat down with me to discuss the problem.

I thought that there was no bite/brake feel when applying the brakes, you just had to push harder for the car to stop.

After a test drive, at last someone could see where I was coming from (regarding braking), so George stripped down the brakes to inspect.
The pads where fine but not original porsche and had a glassed over look about them!

Goerge fitted new pads, bleed them and then bedded them in properly before giving me the car back.

The difference is night and day!

The car stops fantasticlly and the brake feel is how it should be!

Hope this is some help,

Jez

Even OEM spec brake pads can become glazed if the car is generally driven .... um .... "gently" :D , and always stopped using a long, light application of the brakes.

The pads should ideally be "bedded in" when first fitted by making several hard stops from high speeds, and this same process can also be used to remove any glazed deposits which might later arise on the pad or disc rubbing surfaces during the life of the pads.

infrasilver said:
Something I did to mine at the weekend was to drill out all the rust mixed with brake dust that clogs the vent holes in the discs, it made a bit of difference. I was amazed at how much crap was in those holes.

Dont you have PCCBs on your car? Or is it just yellow callipers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markyt911c4s
Back