Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake Pipes

Paddy78

I've just taken my car to a new garage for a service and they have said that all my brake lines need replacing as have corroded.

This is a well respected indy in North Yorkshire that have sent detailed pictures, so I have no reason to doubt this. I'm just curious as to the expected cost of this work as it seems high compared to what other people have mentioned in various other threads.

A good proportion of the cost seems to be dropping the sub frame to access the lines near the steering rack. I'm sure my previous garage mentioned that there was another way of doing this without dropping the sub frame?

Just want to ensure I am as informed as possible before I throw another 4 figure sum at the car! 😞😂

If they are doing all four pipes which go to the wheels then it will be the rear right one which is the most expensive. This goes over the top of the gearbox and needs the gearbox out to do it properly. Dropping the front subframe isn't a big deal in comparison.

MC

Yes this is an issue with this age of car for sure....

All my lines have been done on my C4S Tip.

Unfortunately if genuine parts and all lines then a 4 figure sum is likely. I had mine in 2-3 stages, with over gearbox ones when that came out for RMS and then all side ones and those running under the front of the car the next time (apparently a pig if a C4). Most recently all caliper brake lines replaced (hoping if you have yours that all bleed nipples/connections are not corroded).

My indie said they are constantly seeing these on the 996's nowadays needing doing. No exact figure but would say for me certainly well above 1k incl parts and particularly labour!

I've had mine waxoil coated to try and help for next time. Does sounds like a once in 15years job i think!

Thanks for the replies. The car is 20 years old on Sunday and I don't think that any previous owners have done any preventive maintenance...

I had some steel brake lines to the calipers put in a couple of years ago, so hopefully these will be ok.

Ho hum, part of owning an old car I suppose.

Pm sent

As others have said - the rear (over the gearbox) is the pain. If they are dropping the gearbox to do this, you may want to see if anything else needs doing at the same time.....

I replaced all of my lines last year (did it myself) - I have used Kunifer (and made them myself) - so they should never need doing again. The standard (Porsche OEM) lines are steel with a plastic coating - so will always rust at some point (usually where the line is clipped to the body, the coating gets worn away and then the clip holds moisture against the bare steel). I know some purists will want Porsche OEM brake lines, but you may want to see if the garage will make some out of something better?

I made replacements up in kunifer. And because I also like the OE look they were painted to the right colour. I'm my own worst enemy.

Kingb4 said:
As others have said - the rear (over the gearbox) is the pain. If they are dropping the gearbox to do this, you may want to see if anything else needs doing at the same time.....

I replaced all of my lines last year (did it myself) - I have used Kunifer (and made them myself) - so they should never need doing again. The standard (Porsche OEM) lines are steel with a plastic coating - so will always rust at some point (usually where the line is clipped to the body, the coating gets worn away and then the clip holds moisture against the bare steel). I know some purists will want Porsche OEM brake lines, but you may want to see if the garage will make some out of something better?

And particularly the one over the gearbox as it can be done in two pieces (or one if they are really good as feeding the Kunifer pipe and shaping it as they go) without taking the 'box out saving hundreds.

Buy a roll of black heat shrink tubing if you want them to look OEM.

No idea why people replace rotten steel with more steel that will rot again.

The only reason they use steel in the factory is it is cheap and holds its shape so faster and cheaper to install.

Kunifer is an upgrade.

Get them to change your steering rack hard lines while the subframe is dropped, they will be rotten too. Pre bent replacement are £50

wasz said:
Buy a roll of black heat shrink tubing if you want them to look OEM.

No idea why people replace rotten steel with more steel that will rot again.

The only reason they use steel in the factory is it is cheap and holds its shape so faster and cheaper to install.

Kunifer is an upgrade.

Get them to change your steering rack hard lines while the subframe is dropped, they will be rotten too. Pre bent replacement are £50

http://www.powersteeringstore.co.uk/pipes-and-hoses/porsche-911-power-steering-rack-pipes-(1998-2005)

Gear box drop is the norm to replace the o/s/r brake pipe .. however ..

I saw a car a while back where they had made the section of B/P for the o/s with a join connection in the middle .. they did the same for the n/s and i assumed with small spanners reached above the gearbox to tighten them up .

Got to admit i was impressed as it's not something i've seen before .

Damn annoyed though that whilst i took pictures i cant for the life of me find them ..

Image below as a description though ..

Attachments

• osr_brake_pipe_118.jpg
    osr_brake_pipe_118.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 4,405
Just got my car through the mot by re-routing the brake pipe that goes over the gearbox an hours job total cost of 60 quid :thumbs:

Can you show or explain the new routing please as it sounds interesting (and much cheaper!)

Yes i did it in 2 pieces joined in a place where it is easy to tighten the join, i'll have to jack the car up and take some pics when i get chance should of took some whilst it was on the ramp but forgot. :roll:

Interested in this as have just had my MOT done and my indy has flagged up some corrosion on the pipes - not a problem at the moment, but he does like to keep me informed!

:stay:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsl997
Back