Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake pad wear sensor??

adamw

Guys,
Brake pad wear sensor light came on this morn on the way in to Silverstone
Can anyone advise roughly how much warning this gives IE how much wear I have left :?:

Also, what are the best pads to go for and where from :dont know:

Cheers in advance :thumbs:

Not sure how many miles you will get out of your pads as I guess that depends on the type of driving.

In terms of pads go for textar (same as your OPC would sell you) and check out frazerparts as a supplier. They were the cheapest when I was looking last year. Quite a bit cheaper than eurocarparts even after there so called 30% off brakes discount.

Mine came on during a track day but it turned out to be just the wear sensor that had failed due to the heat with plenty of life left on the pads.

Mikar said:
Mine came on during a track day but it turned out to be just the wear sensor that had failed due to the heat with plenty of life left on the pads.

This is one reason why I don't have any wear-sensors.

The other is that a man should know where his pads are at, especially before a trip, and it's so easy to whizz the wheels off, take the pads out and check them and the discs for inner-face corrosion that there really is no excuse.

If the car was a daily driver, I suppose it might be beneficial, but does a typically insane, low miles driven, 993 owner really need them?

Thanks guys but advised at last service (6 weeks ago) that 3-4mm on fronts ans 5-6mm on rears so I guess it's a job that needs doing :dont know:
Trouble is my front caliper spring plates also need doing as well so not necessarily a cheap one as these things very rarely turn out to be :wall:
I'll call my indy for prices tomorrow :thumb:

adamw said:
Trouble is my front caliper spring plates also need doing as well...

Do you mean you have caliper plate 'lift'? How do you know?

Whizz off a front wheel (support the car properly) and look at the pads - the back of the pads may have the piston-locating domes (or spiders) glued on, but you should be able to tell if the pads are moving freely (or not) without having to remove them completely.

Where do you live in WS exactly?

Hi oc,
Yes spring plate lift - my indy confirmed this when the wheels were off and the brakes were being examined during 24k service.
I was advised that this does need sorting but could probably wait for a pad change which I guess I now.

Im in East Grinstead :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markyt911c4s
Back