Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake fluid & pads

jackal2513

Baku
Guys, what fluid do you use ?

Thinking SRF but then thinking that it supposedly doesnt last long ? ATE blue maybe ?

Thinking rs29 yellows for some new pads but then also thinking they might not be the best thing for a road car.

That said, keen to fot the highest performing parts as possible and to keep heat at a minimum as i boiled the existing setup several times over in europe this year.

Thinking cup duct mods as well.

SRF for me with PFC 08 pads front and rear, GT2 ducts on the rear and Turbo ducts on the front, only as the cup ducts are so expensive.
I don't rate RS-29 any more after going to the 08, the 29 glazed and you don't need to bed the 08. Nick R can tell all as he's tried every option.

Thanks stuart. Lots of dust with the pfc no ?

Regarding the pagids, looks like RS14 are a better option for a road car with better low temp performance and no squeal.

How many litres of srf will i need for a mk1 ?

IMO, PF08 are perfect pads for road & track. They will work from cold perfectly adequately & have terrific pedal feel when they get a bit warmer. I get no squeal at all hot or cold.

There's not a huge amount of dust with PFC08 & what there is will wipe off with a damp rag, unlike earlier PFC compounds which were very metallic & needed to be clayed off. The side of my car actually went rusty a couple of times with 97 compound pads!

I can't say I'm a huge fan of Pagid pads; they are expensive & don't last as well as PFC pads, plus the pedal feel isn't as good & they tend to go "off" after about half the pad has worn. I know they have their fans, but I'm not one of them...

You'll need 2 litres of SRF to ensure a complete flush through of the old stuff. The change every year after that only needs 1 litre. Without doubt the best fluid out there, I've run it for 6 years now & never had it boil.

I'm trying a set of Carbone Lorraine R6 endurance at the moment. On a set of Alcons which are not exactly new but still have some life. Only used at Goodwood to date so not much info on how long they may last. Early signs are good, a bit squeaky at first but it takes a while with new pads on old discs i find.

I do like the PF stuff though, great bang for the bucks .

NXI20 said:
IMO, PF08 are perfect pads for road & track. They will work from cold perfectly adequately & have terrific pedal feel when they get a bit warmer. I get no squeal at all hot or cold.

There's not a huge amount of dust with PFC08 & what there is will wipe off with a damp rag, unlike earlier PFC compounds which were very metallic & needed to be clayed off. The side of my car actually went rusty a couple of times with 97 compound pads!

I can't say I'm a huge fan of Pagid pads; they are expensive & don't last as well as PFC pads, plus the pedal feel isn't as good & they tend to go "off" after about half the pad has worn. I know they have their fans, but I'm not one of them...

You'll need 2 litres of SRF to ensure a complete flush through of the old stuff. The change every year after that only needs 1 litre. Without doubt the best fluid out there, I've run it for 6 years now & never had it boil.

I'm going to get a set of 08's for Iberia, which is fast approaching (and can't
come soon enough)...

jackal2513 said:
Guys, what fluid do you use ?
Thinking SRF but then thinking that it supposedly doesnt last long ? ATE blue maybe ?

What was SRF is now known as React SRF Racing. It is still £40/litre (so you aren't at risk of ever buying the wrong one), but on a car that can drink over £200/day of super unleaded with track use that is a touch incidental. Theoretically good for 18 months at a time, but everyone I know does it annually. It is DOT4 so you can even persuade a friendly OPC to put it in and stamp the book if you are a service history fiend too.

I've ran nothing but it for about 6 years now - it is the best, so why use anything else?

Mine's still called SRF because I bought 5 litres when I found it on a deal at £23/litre :D

I have enough to see me through to 2016.

Is there a best online shop for these top spec goodies or just do a general search?

Cheers :thumb:

opieoils.co.uk is my default supplier for the 70+ litres of oil I buy every year & they do SRF at a decent price too.

NXI20 said:
opieoils.co.uk is my default supplier for the 70+ litres of oil I buy every year & they do SRF at a decent price too.

Cheers Nick

Turns out I had a dodgy oil gauge sensor (all fixed under warranty)
So American Greg at Tognola wasn't going mad after-all..

Best set up to have is : PFC floating discs dimpled for the front , solid cast iron oem disc for the back, PFC pads all around 08 or 06 compound . SRF castrol brake fluid, good ducts at the front, Titanium plaques between pistons and back of the pads at the front.
Now there is always a downside .......PFC pads make some dust ( but they are quiet).
Pagid RS29 don't make much dust at all but they are expansive, work well only when really hot, they squeal for ages after fitting them.
My tip is running oem or ferodo pads for road use snd PFC pads for the track if the dust is a problem for you.
Excellent product for cleaning the rims is X-Iron spray. That stuff works so well.
Alcon discs are good but not recommended to be use with PFC pads. ( price of them is eye watering too.....)

Don't go for anything that are cross drilled at the front......always crack around holes. Dimpled or grooved discs are the way forward. After doing that you will enjoy those late braking on the track , you will love your car again. Been there..... 8)

Cheers Steph - I've put a nice wish list together for the Spring!

race_rotor.jpg

freddie44 said:
Cheers Steph - I've put a nice wish list together for the Spring!

race_rotor.jpg

I am on my second slotted (like above) PFC disc with PFC08 pads - and SRF fluid.
The performance is great. I do not sense any more dust than normal and it cleans off easily.

However, I did find that the slotted disks do crack after a bit of work. Matt at FS mentioned that although the slotted discs have better bite, the dimpled discs are longer lasting and less prone to cracking.

Given the cracking experience, I am minded to try a different disc next time. I hear from 9E that they have had very good performance from Giro disc (?). Apparently they have been using these on their Vmax (230mph) stops at Bruntingthorpe with rapid cool down cycles and no cracking.

Other usual suspects are Alcon..but as someone said earlier, pricy.
And then the dimpled PFC as mentioned

Any experience of Giro disc?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xx22
Back