Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake Disc wear

bens997

Please can you let me know what is normal to expect in way of a lip on the Brake Discs?

A few cars I have seen have noticeable lips on the edge of their disks that could be felt.

Thx

If a lip exists use it as a bargaining tool; they are a piece of cake to change.
:thumb:

'Expensive' along with another word 'Consumption' follow this vehicle the majority of it's life.
If you do your research the former can be over come to allow a pleasurable spending experience.
I replaced all 4 discs and pads on my 997 for under £500; I did all the work myself.
OPC wanted £1.8K to supply and fit.
The optimum rouite is clear to see :wink:
:thumb:
p.s. Welcome to The forum by the way......... :welcome:

Thanks Michelin.. Unfortunately I am not as technically as gifted as you so would have to pay some one to change them.

Roughly how many miles of mixed driving should you be able to cover on set of discs and pads?

I couldn't say as it depends how hard your brake etc etc.
You have a pm.

Check the insides of the discs also! I had a PPI on my car and the discs 'while worn', they estimated had circa 4/5K miles left in them....however once I actually had the car in my possession, and on a ramp for a service, the inside of the rears were shot and they needed replacing. :nooo:

Ducky said:
Check the insides of the discs also! I had a PPI on my car and the discs 'while worn', they estimated had circa 4/5K miles left in them....however once I actually had the car in my possession, and on a ramp for a service, the inside of the rears were shot and they needed replacing. :nooo:

Don't know why but the inside tends to wear faster than the outside.

Ducky said:

Same thing happened to me - went back to the garage and they made a substantial contribution to replacements :thumb:

Gollom122 said:
Don't know why but the inside tends to wear faster than the outside.

Centrifugal force when trail braking to the apex? :hand: :coat:

bens997 said:
Please can you let me know what is normal to expect in way of a lip on the Brake Discs?

A few cars I have seen have noticeable lips on the edge of their disks that could be felt.

Thx

Mine has a slight lip however it's recently passed it's MOT with no warnings or advisories.

I assume they are good for now.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MainA
Back