Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake Calliper Dampener Stuck, Does It Matter??

Newbe

Montreal
Hi All

I've just replaced my brake discs and pads all round. On the very last wheel I found one of the brake calliper dampeners seized in the calliper. I couldn't remove the dampener, although I didn't try that hard and I ended up fitting it all back together.

I decided to remove the screw out the centre of the dampener, fit the new dampener plate back in and replace the screw, so the plate was fixed back in place. Removed the 3m tape off the back of the dampener plate and install the pads as normal. Figured it was working just fine before with it seized then why not again??

After sleeping on it I've probably started over thinking 🤔

Now I've done it this way I'm thinking the brake calliper dampener is seized in the piston, the new dampener plate is screwed in place, and the plate is stuck with 3m tape to the pad as normal. There will be no sliding movement between the pad and the piston as the dampener is seized and it's all screwed and stuck together, sorry hope you're with me!!

Now it was working just fine like this before and the pads still move back and forth??

What have others done who have had this issue?? Rebuild the calliper?? Left it in?? Not screwed the dampener back in place??

Thanks

I had the same issue when replacing the front pads on my 997. The dampeners rust inside the piston and form a pretty solid bond!

I soaked the piston in penetrating fluid and by replacing the screw with a slightly wider head version, I was eventually able to coax them out with a small pry bar.

I cannot really advise on whether it matters, by using your workaround, but I can't see it being a big issue :dont know:

TonyC911 said:
I had the same issue when replacing the front pads on my 997. The dampeners rust inside the piston and form a pretty solid bond!

I soaked the piston in penetrating fluid and by replacing the screw with a slightly wider head version, I was eventually able to coax them out with a small pry bar.

I cannot really advise on whether it matters, by using your workaround, but I can't see it being a big issue :dont know:

Cheers for the reply. I finished the car yesterday but I haven't driven it yet. I'm in eight minds?? I've read a few posts where people have just left them out or don't seem too concerned. I'm tempted to take it apart again but I feel I may open a can of worms unnecessarily? Knowing me I'll probably end up opening that can :frustrated:

Unfortunately i've been seeing this issue from when the first 997 needed brakes .

It's usually the front brakes this happens to and when these seize .. they Really seize at times .

Off the record so don't tell anyone ..

I remove the screw and damper from the new backing plate , i knock the backing plate flat then fit with only one damper inserted .

I line up the pad so that the backing plate doesn't stick to one side then refit everything .. never had an issue in what .. hmm .. 10 plus years i would have thought .

Once you first apply the brakes it will clamp the backing plate to the pad .. usually these never come off again so if it's lined up your fine .

What i will say .. i have small tools i can get into the caliper and try and undo the screw going into the seized damper .. 40% chance it will come undone and you can just screw the new backing plate to the old damper .

Other options are strip the piston and try and get it out or buy a new caliper .. never had a customer request a new caliper for this so far .

deMort said:
Unfortunately i've been seeing this issue from when the first 997 needed brakes .

It's usually the front brakes this happens to and when these seize .. they Really seize at times .

Off the record so don't tell anyone ..

I remove the screw and damper from the new backing plate , i knock the backing plate flat then fit with only one damper inserted .

I line up the pad so that the backing plate doesn't stick to one side then refit everything .. never had an issue in what .. hmm .. 10 plus years i would have thought .

Once you first apply the brakes it will clamp the backing plate to the pad .. usually these never come off again so if it's lined up your fine .

What i will say .. i have small tools i can get into the caliper and try and undo the screw going into the seized damper .. 40% chance it will come undone and you can just screw the new backing plate to the old damper .

Other options are strip the piston and try and get it out or buy a new caliper .. never had a customer request a new caliper for this so far .

Cheers for the reply.

Using a small ratchet with a Phillips head I managed to undo the small screws and left the damper in the calliper, it was one on each side of the calliper, the bigger one out the two, the smaller one moves ok.

I removed the dampener from the new plate and screwed it in to the dampener in the calliper, same as what you've put above if I'm reading it correctly?

Sounds to me like it was a reasonable solution, I'll leave it alone and give it a go 👍

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrmward27
Back