Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Boxster vs 911

GT4

So I had 24 hours to work out if the new Boxster is better than the new 911.

Luckily, I got there with about 8 hours to spare:

• *The new Boxster is the best looking Boxster ever made.
    *The new 911 is the newest looking 911.

*The new Boxster feels agile and quick-witted.
    *The new 911 is very quick.

*The new Boxster has, and excuse the cliche, a riffle-bolt manual gear-change in both literally its throw and its solidity (besting at once the spirit of the MX5 and the precison of the modern BMW manual).
    *The new 911 will ship almost exclusively in PDK, and completely in PDK for the GT3 and Turbo (a real loss).

*The new Boxster turn-in feels electric (thanks mostly to the mid-engined layout).
    *The new 911 steering is electrically assisted (although that is true of both, and both suffer from transmitting the suspension and chassis vibrations and gross vehicle undulations via the steering wheel, but with the actual steering feedback attenuated such that it is drowned out by the former: gone from either are their respective predecessor's Braille-like clarity of road surface communication)

*The new Boxster has finally received an auto-locking/unlocking roof latch (allowing one-button roof operation from the cockpit or via the remote fobs in seconds)
    *The new 911 has an aesthetically challenged externally stored sunroof panel when open.

*The new Boxster makes a wonderful induction noise roof up and a wonderful exhaust noise roof down (without resorting to PSE, which should be epic)
    *The new 911 sounds great too (this is actually close on a draw, perhaps the proximity of the Boxster power plant just pipping the 911 - and all with a certain analogue fidelity, instead of the 911's rather synthetically engineered "Sound Symposer")

*The new Boxster apparently returns 39 mpg on real-life fast motorway runs.
    *The new 991 is also very economical.

*The new Boxster has two bigger boots.
    *The new 911 has two bigger back seats.

*The new Boxster is the same size (but lighter than its predecessor)
    *The new 911 is bigger (but lighter than its predecessor)

*The new Boxster is sporty.
    *The new 911 is comfy.

*The new Boxster is fun.
    *The new 911 is accomplished.

Both have exemplary build quality, the same nice seats and the most annoying electronic hand-brake in the world!

Which is the better sports-car: the new Boxster

Which is the better 911: the new 911

That pretty much seems to be the general opinon in the motoring press.......and when second hand prices come down enough for my budget I will certainly be having one.

I think it would make a great compliment to a 911 coupe.

GT4 said:

I have often thought this of the boxster, now even more so given how lovely the 981 is :thumb:

I like the look of the new cayman, put the 991 next to a 997 and it looks fat . . . . . . .

Tinker said:
GT4 said:
"compliment" or 'complement'?

I'll ask the iPhone.

... No, I checked, and definitely the Boxster will be very flattering to its big sister (at least on first acquaintance. Then, once inveigled, it will get sneaky and start stealing the Mobil1 when it isn't looking and topping up with weak tea to give the impression none has been taken :bandit: )

I had a new Boxster and on a 150 mile trip the best I could get was 34mpg, probably to do with the fact it had only done 200 miles and that was driving on the motorway at night with no traffic. I loved the sound of the exhaust and the manual gearbox was a joy. I would certainly consider this and the Cayman as a future car.

Nice write up.

"Fast motorway runs" here means the legal limit, that is to say, the 39 mpg wasn't obtained simply by running through average speed cams at an economically advantageous 50 mph etc.

GT4 said:

*The new Boxster has, and excuse the cliche, a riffle-bolt manual gear-change in both literally its throw and its solidity (besting at once the spirit of the MX5 and the precison of the modern BMW manual).
    *The new 911 will ship almost exclusively in PDK, and completely in PDK for the GT3 and Turbo (a real loss).

*The new Boxster turn-in feels electric (thanks mostly to the mid-engined layout).
    *The new 911 steering is electrically assisted (although that is true of both, and both suffer from transmitting the suspension and chassis vibrations and gross vehicle undulations via the steering wheel, but with the actual steering feedback attenuated such that it is drowned out by the former: gone from either are their respective predecessor's Braille-like clarity of road surface communication)

*The new Boxster has finally received an auto-locking/unlocking roof latch (allowing one-button roof operation from the cockpit or via the remote fobs in seconds)
    *The new 911 has an aesthetically challenged externally stored sunroof panel when open.

*The new Boxster makes a wonderful induction noise roof up and a wonderful exhaust noise roof down (without resorting to PSE, which should be epic)
    *The new 911 sounds great too (this is actually close on a draw, perhaps the proximity of the Boxster power plant just pipping the 911 - and all with a certain analogue fidelity, instead of the 911's rather synthetically engineered "Sound Symposer")

*The new 911 is comfy.

*The new Boxster is fun.

Both have exemplary build quality, the same nice seats and the most annoying electronic hand-brake in the world!

A good job those of us that live with a 991 have our own opinions, and not just with the benefit of a few hours test drive

Tony 991S said:
A good job those of us that live with a 991 have our own opinions, and not just with the benefit of a few hours test drive

No one is stopping you having an opinion, in fact you are welcome to share it rather than getting upset that others may have different ones.

Is it that you don't agree the new 911 is the better 911?
Or is it that you don't agree the new Boxster is the better sports car?

Have you actually driven the new Boxster?
Have you actually driven any other generations or models of 911?

Do you know what a polar moment of inertia is?

Also, what is about living with the 991 that I didn't get a sense of during a day's driving around town, backroad blasts and motorway sleps?

I must admit, I didn't have the pleasure of topping up the air, water or oil during my "experience" (I did top up the fuel a couple of times). Are they something something special I have missed out on?

We can only guess until you put your typing fingers on.

Tony 991S said:
GT4 said:

*The new 911 is comfy.

*The new Boxster is fun.

Its a fair comment given you own and live with a 991 but id be interested in your own feedback regarding the drive/ownership of a 991.

In fairness I thought he gave quite a positive report on the new 991.

I guess the irony is, my biggest worry in writing the review was that I would be accused of cliche and parroting the opinions of various professional drivers who have driven the cars extensively specifically or the motoring press in general.

Not to be told that my opinions were downright wrong (without explanation) or just not worthy to be aired :?

It's difficult to have a sensible discussion if one side doesn't actually contribute.

In terms of the long-term ownership pleasures and sorrows, it is likely the Boxster will in general cost less to insure, tax, service, fuel, tyre and most significantly, depreciate (both absolutely and percentage wise) than its big sister.

Not that the pounds, shillings and pence is the be all and end all, but if that lower cost is also more fun and better to look at, what's to lose? (excepting a loss of one little bragging number: 981 vs 991/911)

Some might say heritage, but in that case, don't buy the homage, buy the real deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arv13
Back