Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Boxster - bit of a lemon?

Maxy M

Barcelona
Well the 986 anyway.

Piece in the Torygraph on Saturday. According to a car warranty firm, the Boxster came bottom (100th) of the league tables of overall warranty costs and of the highest single warranty claim.

These were cars outside the maufacturer's warranty, so that would exclude 987s. Presume the majority of Boxsters were sold outside of the OPC network too. But even so...

And the things is, are we really surprised? No, of course not. Porsche make highly desirable cars, but some of them are crap.

BTW, best overall performer in the warranty stakes was the Nissan Almera. But I'm not going to check which Almera I fancy.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 60564

With the prices OPC's charge I am not surprised. Does that mean only 100 cars were compared - and more interestingly - was the 911 in there too?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 60573

bit of a silly survey considering the costs of Porsche prices, so no surprise where it was....

after all if you want cheap maintenance costs then buy a VW Polo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 60602

you see how much most VW dealers charge :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 60606

postamble();
I think calling Boxsters "crap" might be going slightly over the top...if you think about it, you see far more Boxsters on the road than 911's...?

Therefore, there will be proportionately more warranty claims (and they'll be more expensive than "ordinary" cars because of Porsche prices)

Or is this yet another (wait for it.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) sl*gging off of newer Porsches in general from the air-cooled brigade?!

(You can call Boxster owners "hairdressers" though!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 60610

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rodders on 23 May 2006

Fair point !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 60612

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 23 May 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rodders on 23 May 2006

Fair point !
And then they swap out your engine for one they had to replace under warranty. Allegedly.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 60619

Sorry, posted without checking figures.

Boxster is 100th/last in frequency of failure ratings too. See
http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/default.html?apc=3128339010848601

Average Boxster repair cost was over 800 quid. Average age of car 4.25 years. Most likely cause of warranty claim brakes/running gear (25%).

No doubt there were fewer Boxsters featuring in the stats than other cars, so those results may be less reliable than, say, for a Focus. But as I said, makes you think.

Original Torygraph article here
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2006/05/20/mrmike20.xml&sSheet=/motoring/2006/05/20/ixmot.html

Migration info. Legacy thread was 60642

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by decompressing on 23 May 2006

Or is this yet another (wait for it.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) sl*gging off of newer Porsches in general from the air-cooled brigade?!
Not at all. Boxster, especially 987 = desirable - at least in theory - in my book. GT3, 996TT = highly desirable.

But a car, particularly an expensive one, shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to own because it goes wrong a lot.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 60645

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grahame84
Back