Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

BMW 640d?

Gazc2

The brother in law is looking to move on his Audi A5 coupe and has been looking at 640's which do look good value anyone any advice on what to look for or any known weak spots/issues with these? 👍

Loved the looks & the interior of the 640d. It's a heavy motor with a lot of poke so it takes a good stamp on the breaks to slow it down. Mine also had a slight vibration on the front from about 80mph.

A bit daft I know but it bugged me that you can unlock the boot with the key fob but it wasn't motorised.

Think your being picky 😁

...I owned a 630i...lovely car, should have kept it...personally would not bother with the diesel given how sweet the inline 6 is...

They're pretty solid engine wise but not immune from the odd turbo failure, plus all the usual bits modern diesels like to chuck every now and then if you're unlucky.

Auto Box is the usual BMW sealed for life jobby which have poor reliability reputations because of a number of early failures, but to be honest I think that's just the internet effect - there's still millions of them out there well over 100k mileage with no issues.

Typical BMW electrics would be a worry but that's across all models.

...mine a petrol ⛽ gave me zero issues...faultless :thumbs:

I see a few of these as I drive around. Look quite nice. Seems a shame to not have a petrol one, IMO.

In terms of the engine, I ran a 2016 35d for a few years - it's an absolute peach with it's huge torque. I would argue one of the best engines BMW made.

I did find after a while that it was just too 'polite' and smooth in it's delivery - no bad thing but I was ready to shift to a NA petrol car what with doing way less mileage.

Less impressed with the runflats, even with the 18" wheels it did let the car down, always conscious of manhole covers and potholes. But they can be swapped I guess.

A real 'horizon eater' I recall one reviewer saying :grin:

Thanks for the feedback gents👍he's narrowed it down to one of these or an e class coupe

Gazc2 said:
Thanks for the feedback gents👍he's narrowed it down to one of these or an e class coupe

Presuming the E Class is going to be diesel, too, and given they're after a 640 it'll be the 350cdi. It's a great engine BUT with one or two foibles. The most annoying one being a £5 pair of seals on the oil cooler which sits slap bang in the middle of the V of the engine, which is really easy to get to of course - all you have to do is remove the turbo and all of the inlet manifold and associated gubbins :eek:

It's about £900 of labour at a Merc Garage to sort it, and the leak can get pretty bad pretty quickly. If they've not been done - factor it in, because they'll need to be done. There's an updated seal which is much, much better so at least it should be a one-and-done fix.

I'm wracking my brains a little but I think they used the updated seal from about 2016 onwards but don't quote me on that.

I had a 2014 640d Gran Coupe a few years ago, got rid of it as it wasn't ULEZ compliant (although the newer ones are).

Great car but for me I would have preferred a petrol version but those were super rare back then as most mainstream cars were diesel.

There was a recall on EGR coolers, most have been repaired but check the VOSA recall site when looking at cars.

arry said:
Gazc2 said:

Presuming the E Class is going to be diesel, too, and given they're after a 640 it'll be the 350cdi. It's a great engine BUT with one or two foibles. The most annoying one being a £5 pair of seals on the oil cooler which sits slap bang in the middle of the V of the engine, which is really easy to get to of course - all you have to do is remove the turbo and all of the inlet manifold and associated gubbins :eek:

It's about £900 of labour at a Merc Garage to sort it, and the leak can get pretty bad pretty quickly. If they've not been done - factor it in, because they'll need to be done. There's an updated seal which is much, much better so at least it should be a one-and-done fix.

I'm wracking my brains a little but I think they used the updated seal from about 2016 onwards but don't quote me on that.

It is the 350 he is looking at so thanks for that, his budget is 13k he was hoping to get a face-lift model but not many in that price range at the moment

Isn't the E class coupe one with the funny rear windows? Spoils the look for me.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CS4997Gen1
Back