Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Blown blower?

chimp911

Ok, the thread title may be a bit misleading, but bear with me...

At the weekend I was pootling along the autobahn until the road cleared and I gave old faithful some beans...only nothing happened, no boost pressure, no roar of forced induction, no sudden lurch to the horizon, no beans :dont know: :oops:

I figured the car had gone into drive safe mode but I wasn't aware of any trigger events (my skyline was fairly prone to pinking), nor were there any tell-tale warnings on the dash. As I was close to my destination I completed the journey, and hoped that restarting the car would reset the sensors and normal service would resume.

Upon my return journey everything did indeed appear to be ok with full fat thrust only a toe twitch away, but as I neared home it happened again and all thrust had gone :? :sad:

Since I have all the mechanical know-how of your typical Loose Women host (did somebody say mutton?) I figured I'd best leave it to the experts and a quick call to my OPC on Monday saw me booked in the following day. As is written in the annals of Sod's law, the car behaved impeccably on the drive to the garage so I was concerned that this particular gremlin may prove difficult to pin down... :pc:

No such worries as it was very quickly established that one of my actuators had almost completely seized. I had read on here that this can be a problem for older cars, but since mine is less than 3 years old/25k I'm very surprised this could have happened so early?? The OPC only made a temporary fix, lubricating/loosening the mechanism enough to work for the time being, but at some point they will need the car for 2 days to strip it down and identify the cause of the seizure and replace any faulty parts as necessary, thankfully all under warranty...

I wondered whether anyone else has experienced similar issues? While I could never be accused of having a garage queen, I'd like to think I've been mechanically sensitive during my ownership, and the car has wanted for nothing...

Very common, not a whole lot you can do about it sadly other than keep them well lubed up.

Quite common although it hasn't happened to me. Porsche did issue a workshop campaign where a special high temperature lube/grease was applied. This spray is available to buy from an OPC at circa £40 a can! I'll post up the part number when I can dig out the receipt.

Thanks guys, looks like I'll have to get my hands dirty and start lubing them to prevent this from happening again - A turbo without boost is no fun at all... :nooo:

I lube mine once or twice a year! :D

You'll need to either jack up the rear or use a mirror to see where they are to spray the lube. The lube is white so you can easily see that it has been applied in the right place!

Oooor err....... :lol:

Knowing me I'd end up with more on me than the parts :oops:

Seeing as though I switch my summer/winter tyres at the OPC I may just ask them to do this at the same time...

£35 for a bit of spray grease??!! Does it come in a golden tin, or is it 500L?

Even so, a bit of high-temp grease isn't £35.

Normal high temperature greases are generally only good for 250'C. VTGs generate heat upto 900'C so these would be useless. This special grease can take temperatures of upto 1200'C.

Not all high temp' greases are the same, just like engine oils etc....

Ekona said:
Even so, a bit of high-temp grease isn't £35.

remember the kluberpaste high temp stuff in my garage, that's £700 a tin

high temp grease can be effing expensive

chimp911 said:
Knowing me I'd end up with more on me than the parts :oops:

Seeing as though I switch my summer/winter tyres at the OPC I may just ask them to do this at the same time...

Sounds like a good routine to get into. :thumb:

Yeah, but that Kluberpaste is somewhat OTT for what we use it for ;)

Hi-temp castrol grease, £4.33 from RS for 400ml, but has a dropping point of 250c. I know that turbos can get to near 800c without breaking sweat, but whether the actuator arm gets near that I've no idea.

What spec is the Porsche stuff Martian? Be interested to see how it compares.

Ekona said:
Yeah, but that Kluberpaste is somewhat OTT for what we use it for ;)

Hi-temp castrol grease, £4.33 from RS for 400ml, but has a dropping point of 250c. I know that turbos can get to near 800c without breaking sweat, but whether the actuator arm gets near that I've no idea.

What spec is the Porsche stuff Martian? Be interested to see how it compares.

See my link above, it's the Gleitmo 5040 stuff.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macca2000
Back