Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Black Stereo/AC Console & Steering Wheel

DucatiRob

Mugello
Joined
22 Jul 2015
Messages
2,236
I've never been a fan of the silvery grey finish on on the stereo/switch console and my 991 steering wheel had a chrome trim finish that didn't really match with anything else, prefer the satin black GT3 style look. Not wanting to ruin the original finish I searched out some decent peelable paint. Found these guys https://www.matt-pack.co.uk/fulldip-400-ml-aerosol-solid-satin-ultra-black-mp01-c2x35305026

Taking the AC unit and switch console apart was quite easy and replaced the rubbery Temp and Fan controls at the same time.

Pleased with the results :) the finish is good and pretty much what I was looking for :thumb:

20220417-091724.jpg


20220418-143822.jpg


Will post some pics when all fitted!
 
Looks good! I hadn't thought of of using that for interior trim. :thumbs:

Fulldip spray is surprisingly hardwearing. I've used it on two sets of silver wheels painted satin black, and it withstood the rigors of road use and cleaning for a good few years. Originally used as a cheap way to see if I wanted black wheels, before expensive refurbishment, but I never got that far they looked so good!
 
This looks good!

What do you think about using this for the centre console? Durable enough?
 
TFR said:
This looks good!

What do you think about using this for the centre console? Durable enough?

Do you mean the gear lever and arm rest unit? If so, I would have that painted, Fulldip is essential some form of rubber/latex so i doubt it would stand up to a lot of abrasion that it might get. In saying that, weren't the non leather units some sort of rubbery finish :?:
 
DucatiRob said:
TFR said:
This looks good!

What do you think about using this for the centre console? Durable enough?

Do you mean the gear lever and arm rest unit? If so, I would have that painted, Fulldip is essential some form of rubber/latex so i doubt it would stand up to a lot of abrasion that it might get. In saying that, weren't the non leather units some sort of rubbery finish :?:

That's the one.
Believe it or not, I have found a Plasti Dip forum, I'll see what I can find on there regard durability.
 
DucatiRob said:
TFR said:
This looks good!

What do you think about using this for the centre console? Durable enough?

Do you mean the gear lever and arm rest unit? If so, I would have that painted, Fulldip is essential some form of rubber/latex so i doubt it would stand up to a lot of abrasion that it might get. In saying that, weren't the non leather units some sort of rubbery finish :?:

That's the one.
Believe it or not, I have found a Plasti Dip forum, I'll see what I can find on there regard durability.
 
Sorry about the duplicate post, can't figure out how to delete.
 
That looks great! - I did mine with Halfords matt paint, but took a load of arsing about with primer and laquer at the end, was that a 1 spray and you're done task, or more to it? I'm thinking the airvents next, unless I skin them in carbon.

JOKiC0D.jpg
 
EHKO said:
That looks great! - I did mine with Halfords matt paint, but took a load of arsing about with primer and laquer at the end, was that a 1 spray and you're done task, or more to it? I'm thinking the airvents next, unless I skin them in carbon.

JOKiC0D.jpg

this is perfectly + professionally done

- primer
- paint
- matte clear coat

do you have to sand it back down after to remove any trace of unEven clearcoat/orange peel with a mild cut + polish after to make it look totally factory?

looks great
 
The FullDip doesn't need any primer, Matt-Pack reccomended a normal flat black on the chrome finish steering wheel trim as a base before the Ultra Black, but you do need 5 - 6 coats.

No rubbing down needed before spraying, just a very clean surface!
 
DucatiRob said:
The FullDip doesn't need any primer, Matt-Pack reccomended a normal flat black on the chrome finish steering wheel trim as a base before the Ultra Black, but you do need 5 - 6 coats.

No rubbing down needed before spraying, just a very clean surface!

pls take a photo when reInstalled pls!
 
myw said:
DucatiRob said:
The FullDip doesn't need any primer, Matt-Pack reccomended a normal flat black on the chrome finish steering wheel trim as a base before the Ultra Black, but you do need 5 - 6 coats.

No rubbing down needed before spraying, just a very clean surface!

pls take a photo when reInstalled pls!

Yes please! I'd be keen to see pictures of it all back together.
 
Couple of pics! Head unit surround not fitted properly here.

20220423-135807.jpg


20220423-135652.jpg
 
That looks great - it really brings the cabin up to date :thumbs:
 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
124,597
Messages
1,446,643
Members
49,749
Latest member
dicreamio
Back
Top