Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bedding in new pads and discs

Newbe

Montreal
Hi All

I'm fitting new pads and discs in the next week or so, any advice on bedding them in??

I've read various different ways online??

Thanks

Just drive the car normally but expect the brakes to not be as effective for the first 50 miles or so .. compensate basically .

Don't hold your foot on the brake whilst driving etc .. it won't help ... it will probably damage them if done for too long .

Cheers, it was a really helpful video, pretty much in line with what I've read :thumb:

Hi,

I changed my pads and disc's on my 996.2 GT3 (Steel brakes) and followed the pad manufactures bedding in process. From memory I think it was 5 stops from 60 mph. Brakes always felt great during road driving. A few months later (very little road miles, maybe 300 miles) I went to Oulton Park for a track day. The first session out I was with an instructor, after a few laps the brakes developed a bad vibration. It was that bad I told the instructor I was going to pit. He asked if the discs and pads were new, he then told me to carry on and it may be the bedding in process and the pads were just depositing material onto the new disc's.
I wasn't convinced but sure enough a few laps later the vibration disappeared and they were perfect for the rest of the day.

Fist time I've experienced that.

Thanks for the reply, that's good to know. It did say in the video above that you can clean the discs back off if you do road driving and cause the issue you described above.

I'll keep it in mind when I'm bedding in my brakes :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PTG
Back