Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

BC Racing Coilvers

jonboy21t

New member alert...!!

I have recently bought an early 997 C2 with BC Racing Coil overs fitted - after the test drive & subsequence purchase I had the car inspected by local indi Bahnsport in Blandford as the suspension was extremely firm & crashy.
They replaced the worn anti roll bars front & back & drop links etc & it's much better, however I find it compliant until I'm pressing on - yes, I bought the car to drive it & once "slightly" over the legal limit on anything other than smooth tarmac the front gets very bouncy.
I've adjusted the damper settings to the stiffer side & it's getting better but it's still bouncy up front.
Has anyone experienced the same issue & if so, what was done to improve the ride..??

Hopefully a fellow forum member can help me out with some suggested settings or pointers.

Thanks in advance.

Firstly check which spring rate you have as there are 2 options.

How far up the damper adjustment range are you? On almost all dampers there is only a few settings close to the middle that have an effect, the adjustable valve bypass is quite simplistic on lower end dampers.

Finally, imho bc racing are not the best product and built to the price (more for stance imho than performance.)

You could try contacting bds motorsport as I understand they have revalved and spring the bc product to improve it.

Thanks for your reply, i'm not sure what spring rates they are as there was zero paperwork in the service history regarding what was fitted, when it was fitted & who fitted them...:(
Regarding the dampers, I started central @ 15 clicks from fully soft & have wound the fronts back to 10 from fully hard & intend to wind them another 3 clicks for my commute home to 7 from fully hard to see if it improves.
The rears are currently set 12 clicks from fully hard - the rear feels fairly planted & doesn't squat & squirm under full throttle.
Regarding the spring rates - excuse my naivety but would they be marked on the struts..??
If it doesn't improve, eventually i'll most likely put the car back to standard struts & lowering springs.
Thanks in advance.

Springs will be marked with rates, length and dia. Take pics front and rear and I can decipher for you.

I’ve no experience on the 997 but I have a set on my celica st185 RC and worked with them to specify some custom damping and spring rates. They don’t do that now unless you bulk order.

I’ve fitted/ fitting tractives to the 997 and currently use bilstein b12 on my m3 but have kw v3 waiting to go on. I’ve spent a lot of time researching spring/dampers so I think I’m at the bottom of the dunning-kruger curve now!

In my experience BCs are a budget coilover, good if you want to slam the car but no body control.

I’ve read a lot of people use these to ditch magride on R8’s.

They really aren’t up to the job unfortunately.

Ohlins for the win.

In my experience BCs are a budget coilover, good if you want to slam the car but no body control.
Yeah, to be honest that's what I've heard & the chaps at Bahnsport suggested a standard set-up with lowering springs is the way to..
Best start researching the best place to get hold of OEM or OEM plus.

I’ve read a lot of people use these to ditch magride on R8’s.

They really aren’t up to the job unfortunately.

Ohlins for the win.
Thanks for the heads-up regarding the Ohlins, i'll go do some research.

I’d give centre gravity a call, they’ll be able to advise based on your needs. As much as lowering springs will give the look, if you want to drive spiritedly I think a decent set of coilovers is the way forward.

I’d give centre gravity a call, they’ll be able to advise based on your needs. As much as lowering springs will give the look, if you want to drive spiritedly I think a decent set of coilovers is the way forward.
Thanks - that most likely makes sense & yes, I do like to tackle a B road...

There’s a compromise with everything of course. Generally people seem to be ok with offerings from KW, Bilstein, Ohlins and Tractive. The key is decent geo. Hence Centre Gravity. You can tweak it further with adjustable anti-roll bars, drop links, camber arms, top mounts, etc, etc. Also if you have PASM you can add the DSC module. Plenty of options and Centre Gravity are fantastic with advise, they are not out to empty your wallet and will help find the right balance for you to meet your needs, both dynamically and financially. Genuinely great people.

I can see the attraction in fitting BC, Yellowspeed (both made in the same factory) and others given the cost of buying Porsche replacement. They’re very expensive.

I’ve got these on mine:

Add springs, top mounts and any other additions and it soon starts to rack up. So a complete solution like a damptronic or KW does make sense all things considered. Or you could take it to CofG and let them assess what you have and make recommendations based on your preferences. It could work out to be the cheapest route that you take.

Last edited:
Regarding the BC coilovers, there’s a chap near me that has them on his .1 C2S. I saw it this evening and thought about this thread. They are very low with barely any gappage between fender and tyre, but I guess they could be raised, right? It stand out for sure.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conwy GTS
Back