Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

BBS wheels due any time soon - Cups or PS

Pip1968

Barcelona
Well I received an email from Gert (Carnewal) a couple of weeks ago to say the BBS were on their way to him. Anyway I am just wondering why more people don't have them. Is due to the lack of instant gratification that we have all become used to - ? Clearly a five or six month wait isn't going to fit with that.

Anyway I am just wondering whether to put the summer track tyres on (Cup 2) or the Michelin PS. I have two sets of the OEM wheels anyway but do not really want to buy another set of tyres.

I should add that I do tend not to use that car much in winter. Aside from the cleaning issues with these (E88s with gold centres) are they still good to use for track days? I only really go to the Nordschleife and this year will be the first year I have not been there. For that reason I am hoping to do two or three next year.

Any tip top tips appreciated. I do remember seeing someone post something about getting them protected with something.

Pip
Ps pictures to follow........

They'll look fabulous :thumb:

I have a set of these that came with my car. Observations are they are ok to keep clean but you can't use them like a normal wheel and you need to expect to do a some polishing now and then. Don't forget to pay attention to the inside of the wheel. Also they're not as light as you'd think vs the factory wheels. Do your own research as tyres can make a difference to the weight but in my experience there's naff all in it.

They look fabulous, did I say that already :floor:

As for tyres put on what you need? The wheel isn't really a factor in the tyre choice for me.

Thanks Senoj, I probably was not clear my question. It was more related to use of the wheel with all its cleaning issues ie if I put normal road going tyres on they will be used come rain or shine. If I put the Cups on, then use will be more related to track and good weather.

Pip

Michelin now do the Pilot Sport 4S in 996 GT3 fitments. Ive just put them on mine. Supply is very thin though. Only 8 rear tyres came into the country in September when i got mine.

IMO with wheels like that its a shame to use them on track only. They will have cost you a pretty penny so get your moneys worth I say.

Lovely looking wheel, as for why more people dont have them its probably down to cost. Hard to justify that related to the price of the car. I get it but Im a wheel nerd, many people dont like straying from OEM as well.

Awesome choice of wheel :thumb:
Definitely get them ceramic coated especially the lips to help keep them clean.

Is ceramic coating something you can do yourself? If not who do I need to get hold of to get them done (preferably someone recommended in the Kent/ SE London area).

Pip

Pip1968 said:
Is ceramic coating something you can do yourself? If not who do I need to get hold of to get them done (preferably someone recommended in the Kent/ SE London area).

Pip
I've used Gyeon ceramic on both my 911's and the Taycan. Anyone who installs ceramic coating would be more than capable of doing the wheels. I'd get the tyres on there first, so they can clean all the tyre fitters gunk off and make a neat job of things.

coullstar said:
IMO with wheels like that its a shame to use them on track only. They will have cost you a pretty penny so get your moneys worth I say.

Lovely looking wheel, as for why more people dont have them its probably down to cost. Hard to justify that related to the price of the car. I get it but Im a wheel nerd, many people dont like straying from OEM as well.

Cheap they certainly ain't, but technically they're not really a road wheel either.

The inner rim sections are known to crack. 3mins 50 secs on here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IELyfL7c7WE&t=46s

and as others have said, the outer rim section whilst beautifully polished, has no protection from the elements whatsoever, likewise the inner barrel. Though if the inner barrel is allowed to corrode it will actually form a boundary layer of aluminium oxide that should preclude further corrosion ... but the end result doesn't look pretty, and just attracts road dirt and brake dust.

They are stunning looking wheels that suit the 996 shape perfectly, but as someone else said, they're not actually that light when compared with the various one piece forged wheels that are available on the market nowadays.

Whilst the 2 piece BBS LM's are more practical (as practical as any diamond cut wheel can be) they also weigh a lot more than the E88's but are considerably stronger.

Much as I love the E88's, they're just too much a of PITA for us Brits and our oft horrible weather, though no doubt they're fine if you live in sunny California etc.

Well after ceramic coating the wheels I have finally got around to putting them onto the car and think they look pretty good if I do say so myself :D . Maybe I should go for gold checkered flags too ?? :D :D :D

Pip

Attachments

• may_2022_bbs_s_760.jpg
    may_2022_bbs_s_760.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 2,894
Pip1968 said:
Well after ceramic coating the wheels I have finally got around to putting them onto the car and think they look pretty good if I do say so myself :D . Maybe I should go for gold checkered flags too ?? :D :D :D

Pip

Oh wow...they are beautiful :eek:

M1ke, these were the sizes which Gert at Carnewal recommended:-

BBS E88 Racing in 8,5x18 ET40 and 11x18 ET63

I think that prevents spacers or arch rolling et cetera

Slippydiff is the resident expert on wheels sizes and offsets for 996 GT3 and NXI20.

Pip

Thanks Pip - i think this detail is really helpful reference when searching for specs in the future.

Having read the previous page i might buy a couple of spare Barrels!

Is yours a 996.1 CS? What colour is it? Or is it a wrap? Looks 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluellen
Back