Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Back to Supercharging once again...

Niall996

Imola
I know this has come up several times so I looked at old threads before posting but they all seemed to fizzle out with no conclusion. Posters talked about getting it done but didn't. And perhaps technology has evolved a bit.

I know that spending any sort of serious money on upgrading a Carerra doesn't make any sense when the same money will get you a turbo. So why even think about it? For me there a three reasons.

1. I'm an oddball in that I actually like the simple basic narrow body shape more, I think. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of spoilers, not because there is anything wrong with them, it's just that I love the back of the car so much as it is.

2. Probably the main reason is that I just like my particular car. I've bonded with it too much. A turbo would be just another turbo. My car and I are on our own personal shared journey together. It's probably a lifer. I've looked after it well and the cost therein will never come back to me in a sale price. It's a very personal car. And there's a certain pleasure in creating something bespoke that offsets the immediate gain from upgrading to a faster model.

3. Fundamentally the car is fast enough as it is. I've maxed it on a track but tracks to me are a bit boring. I prefer open twisting country roads with hedges on either side. And in that realm, extra grunt out of corners with no lag, a strong torque curve pushing you along between 40mph and 80mph is the real pleasuredome of driving for me. Windows down, sunroof open, sports exhaust rasping, six in the morning sunny day blasts. Plus the occasional little immature reckless traffic light drag race!

Currently the car will do 0-60 in about four and a half seconds. To get it down to four would keep it right in there with just about anything this side of a hyper car. All wrapped up in it's demure little body. Ideally without having to drop the clutch at the top of the rev range. So what a supercharger might offer to someone like me is just additional distinctly noticable low rev linear grunt. Don't need higher top speed. Don't need faster acceleration above 100mph. Everything up there is fine.

Consider it a birthday present to my mistress. I'm doing a retrim on the interior at the moment so this little addition would basically finish the car off for years to come. Any similar experiences to share or thoughts welcome.

Have you driven a turbo?

My billet K16's have pretty much no lag at all with instant power.

I've come from a 520bhp Lancer Evo to a C4, I have had the turbo buzz so I am on the look out to supercharge mine.

I love the drive of the Porsche but it just lacks that little bit of low end grunt for me :)

Lee

Consider also a Renegade V8 conversion. More expensive but you won't have to worry about the IMS, bore scoring, D chunks or any of the other elements of the paranoia.

I was one of the guys looking into this about a year ago. Initially I really liked the idea of it. I was put off by ims/bore scoring and concerns about resale. What really swung it for me was when my insurer at the time said they could not cover me with the mod. I only found two that would and it was considerably more expensive than I was willing to pay. Out of curiosity I got a couple of Insurance quotes based on a standard turbo. Remarkably these were the same or less than quotes I got on my standard c2. Apparently there are less accidents in turbos!

In the end a purchased a turbo and sold the c2. Trouble is it has started again already. I am currently fitting k24 hybrids and will be looking at around 600bhp!

madmog said:
Consider also a Renegade V8 conversion. More expensive but you won't have to worry about the IMS, bore scoring, D chunks or any of the other elements of the paranoia.

that looks rite up my street. ill be sending them an email :)

madmog said:

That looks great. it would make a fantastic project if you could find a C2 manual with a scored engine for peanuts. I might start keeping an eye out for one.....

MC

MisterCorn said:
madmog said:

That looks great. it would make a fantastic project if you could find a C2 manual with a scored engine for peanuts. I might start keeping an eye out for one.....

MC

would this be doable with a tip box? im sure it would with something like a syvecs ecu running it all

Hi guys,

Had mine in my 996.2 for years, never skipped a beat, I absolutely love it, and as has been mentioned, I do like the bespoke aspect.
As prices have dropped of late, there's no deniying that a Turbo makes more sense, but as always, each to their own.

Regards

Vinny

A supercharged 996 Carrera sounds like a fantastic little car to me. But not at any price. I've had a quick look and I see a Vortech system promising 450bhp for 5k. But that to me is still silly money. It's just too close to a turbo trade up for comfort. To me 2-3k sounds about right, and that's fitted.

The cars weight will still be relatively lean and the super high upper range speeds are irrelevant so no need for turbo brakes. I just need a thrust increase up to a 100mph. A satisfying additional degree of muscle that comes in from low revs.

Are there any cheaper options than the Vortech?

supercharging

I did one, 440bhp but completely ungraded the engine, Autofarm silisleeeve/Nikasil block, lowered compression, IMS upgrade and new H beam rods ran 6psi with a vortech supercharger kit, with chargecooler. Also upgraded the brakes etc. Was it worth it? no not really, power wise, lacked the turbo's woosh bang, sold it and purchased a Turbo, owned it 3 years did 4k miles, loved &hated the Turbo, as every time I drove it some c**t always picked a fight with it, have had guys in evo's and beemers trying to drive me of the road to provoke me and loads of Wa****s in old scoob'ys with bean can exhausts. , have gone back to a C4s , so I know exactly where you are coming from regarding the look with all the spoilers, did post pictures etc of the supercharger on this forum, will see if I can find them, but I know the car ended up with one of the motoring mags own hac's as the guy rang me a few months back asking for info on the engine. if you need help going any further will oblige, but a word of warning it will not run out of the box as they say it will, the fuel injectors supplied are far too big, and you will need a turbo fuel pump as well, along with an ECU reprogram all done on a rolling road . the standard engine would handle it but get the Hartech top rings fitted to hold the lokasil liners and run say 3psi for circa 390-400bhp:eek: :eek: :eek:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=58799&highlight=valdice

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steviepee
Back