Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Back Into Porsche Ownership

Dsternum

After 7 years in a 987 Boxster S I had a moment of stupidity at the start of the year and swapped it for an Audi S5. My God what a mind numbingly dull and soulless way of moving about, so a few months ago the search was started for a 997 S or 4S to replace it.

I've actually had this for a few weeks now and finally got round to taking pics.

2006 997 C2S, 60k in midnight blue with the spec I wanted and under budget! I've so far fitted a low temp thermostat, Zunsport grills, upgraded the keys thanks to Elliot's gen 2 shells and replaced the PCM unit for the Pioneer I'd had in the Boxster. Next year I'm planning on fitting LED interior lights and treating it to a paint correction detail and new badges. Feels tiny compared to the Audi and infinitely more interesting even when sat in traffic.

997C2S01_zps5cef5437.jpeg

DS

:welcome: back.

Looking forward to hearing how the 911 compares to your old Boxster.

Congrats :thumb:

LTT and Zunsport Grills....you're on the right path!

I like Midnight Blue on a 997. :thumb: I don't suppose this used to belong to a forum member?

I test drove an Audi RS5 at 8:30 one saturday morning, by 10:30 I had signed on the dotted line for a 2009 997.2 S

Hi and welcome, I'd like to see a pic on how you upgraded the PCM unit and a pic of the finished article.

Enjoy the car.

Kevin

Welcome back. A similar S5 to 911 story was posted on a watch forum I frequent (tz-uk), not on there too are you?

G

@T8 Unfortunately I've not had a huge amount of opportunity to properly drive it thanks to the time of year and the weather. It's pretty much been the usual commute or stuck behind someone doing 40 because it's a bit damp / dark, and any decent weather weekends (which are few and far between in Devon) have been taken up with other things.

Before the Boxster I had an E46 M3, a car that I never felt confident in due to the total lack of feel to the handling, the steering just gave no feedback and I was never sure how much grip the car had. Whilst you could plainly feel that the Boxster had a big chunk less BHP than the M3, I always felt it was the quicker car to drive because it gave so much more feedback and confidence on the sort of roads I enjoy driving on (thin, twisty, flowing). The 997 is the best of both worlds for me, the handling feel of the Boxster but the power of the M3.

@Zantas Thanks, I had Zunsport grills on the Boxster after needing to replace the air con condensers, so I was always going to stick them on. Used to live up the road from them too when I was younger (parents still do), which I hadn't realised before. I bought the car through a dealer (it was the principals car), so no idea if it's an ex forum members car.

@911KSM I'll try and take some photos of the upgraded head unit, I used this double din adapter which colour matches perfectly: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ct23po04-double-din-facia-plate-for-porsche-911-typ-997-boxs and a guide I found on one of the US forums. This time was a little easier since all the hard work of figuring out what to do, altering the head unit cables and deciding how to them was done with the Boxster and the 997 is identical from that point of view. The only difference is that the 997 requires a power feed to the aerial, so I had a bit of head scratching as to why the radio didn't work for a while. Since I still had everything from the Boxster I was always going to swap out the PCM in the 997, so I specifically avoided cars with BOSE and Sports Chrono since both of them give the impression that they'll make the swap harder than necessary.

@GregR1 Yep, that's me. 8)

With the holiday season, we did the 500 mile round trip to see parents last weekend and after several hours on the M5 I can also state that the 997 is comfier that the Audi. Always got a numb bum in the Audi after an hour or so, but the sports seats are as comfy as ever :D.

DS

Dsternum said:
Before the Boxster I had an E46 M3, a car that I never felt confident in due to the total lack of feel to the handling, the steering just gave no feedback and I was never sure how much grip the car had. Whilst you could plainly feel that the Boxster had a big chunk less BHP than the M3, I always felt it was the quicker car to drive because it gave so much more feedback and confidence on the sort of roads I enjoy driving on (thin, twisty, flowing). The 997 is the best of both worlds for me, the handling feel of the Boxster but the power of the M3.

At the time I bought my 996C4 the only other car on my short list was an E46 M3. Your feedback confirms once again that I made the right decision :thumb:

I fear it may be quite a few weeks before you're able to put some proper miles on the 997 but as you had a Boxster for so long I'd be really interested in hearing of some detailed comparisons.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluellen
Back