Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Back in the game.....second attempt!

Maxie

Yas Marina
Hi - I am back yet again! Some may remember that I tried to acquire a manual 991 C4S in November 2023 when after paying a deposit, the dealer said they couldn't sell me the car after all as it had to go back to the finance company (outstanding finance not settled by previous owner). Read the story here.

This time, I have managed to source a slightly better 991 albeit PDK. I have been talked out of buying any manual 991/992 variant unless it happens to be the T or GT3 models. Seems as though both mainstream dealers and indies steer clear of any manual 991/992 Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera GTS simply because typical buyers prefer automatics. What a damned shame as I love stirring the gears for myself. But I also didn't want to be saddled with a car that I might struggle to sell in future and I currently see some manual 992 GTS variants (mostly at indies) that have been sat on the forecourt for months. I hope to pick this up in the next week or so:
Front.JPG
Front2.JPG
Rear.JPG
SteeringWheel.JPG

Maxie :cool::cool:

Last edited:
Nooooiiiccceee. Love interior

Nice one Maxie. Lots of buttons that are attractive in there 😎
I used to be due hard manual fan but after getting used to PDK, no going back! Another fear apart from selling is over rev paranoia 😜

"I have been talked out of buying any manual 991/992 variant unless it happens to be the T or GT3 models. Seems as though both mainstream dealers and indies steer clear of any manual 991/992 Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera GTS simply because typical buyers prefer automatics."

I find this absolutely astounding! people are spending 50k plus converting Ferraris from flappy paddles back to a propper manual shifter. I get that some people like the "nannies" (mainly youngsters) but the only move I see is converting them back.

"I have been talked out of buying any manual 991/992 variant unless it happens to be the T or GT3 models. Seems as though both mainstream dealers and indies steer clear of any manual 991/992 Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera GTS simply because typical buyers prefer automatics."

I find this absolutely astounding! people are spending 50k plus converting Ferraris from flappy paddles back to a propper manual shifter. I get that some people like the "nannies" (mainly youngsters) but the only move I see is converting them back.
There's a big premium on manual Ferraris so there's method in doing it. Plus they started out as a manual gearbox with an 'auto selector' bolted on so it's prehistoric in terms of PDK and modern autos. Also they're from an era when manual was more common so it fits with the age profile of the car.

@Maxie - Lovely interior black/red the perfect choice for a black car (y)

I’ve just done a hip check on it and ………………. :ROFLMAO:

I’ve just done a hip check on it and ………………. :ROFLMAO:

It's got an auto box, should be fine for anyone with a dodgy hip.

Plus they started out as a manual gearbox with an 'auto selector' bolted on so it's prehistoric in terms of PDK and modern autos. Also they're from an era when manual was more common so it fits with the age profile of the car.

Yeah but give it a couple of years and the same will happen to PDK, at the end of the day car enthusiasts like driving cars not having the computer do it for them .. imo ofc.

OP - can I ask why you've been talked out of buying a manual 991?
I'm interested as I'm looking for a 991 manual and would be interested why the PDK would be the preferred option.

Thanks

I'm interested as I'm looking for a 991 manual and would be interested why the PDK would be the preferred option.

Thanks
Maxie has mentioned that the market for manuals are restricted and does not sell well . Drive a PDK ( which might need a bit of getting used to) and then decide for yourself. Its individual preferences some of which cannot be changed!

Thanks
By dealers who did not have a manual to sell :unsure:

Im thinking of eventually replacing my base 992 PDK with a 992 T with manual
As brilliant as pdk is, Porsche manual g/box is special for feel and engagement.

. I have been talked out of buying any manual 991/992 variant unless it happens to be the T or GT3 models. Seems as though both mainstream dealers and indies steer clear of any manual 991/992 Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera GTS simply because typical buyers prefer automatics. What a damned shame as I love stirring the gears for myself. But I also didn't want to be saddled with a car that I might struggle to sell in future and I currently see some manual 992 GTS variants (mostly at indies) that have been sat on the forecourt for months.

Dealers always have and always will talk up PDK as there are lots more of them around for them to buy and sell. The reality is that not all buyers find the PDK exciting and I’ve come across numerous owners who’ve had PDK and moved back to manual. There has been quite a resurgence in manual 911’s in the last 5 years or so. I owned one of the last off the line 997 6 speed manuals and changed to 991.2 manyal. I’ve been absolutely delighted with the 7 speed 991.2 gearbox. I still don’t quite understand why it needed a 7th gear but will use for cruising on motorways (I just ignore the fact it has a 7th deat most of the time. I’ve driven lots of PDK cars including multiple day loans from OPC’s when my car has been in but I wouldn’t ever consider owning a PDK car. I know lots of people are huge fans of the PDK cars and will feel differently. I purchased my car for without being overly focussed on resale value further down the line (having said that I no trouble at all selling my 997.2 manual and had a number of strong offers including from the OPC who took it in part exchange).

Maxie has mentioned that the market for manuals are restricted and does not sell well . Drive a PDK ( which might need a bit of getting used to) and then decide for yourself. Its individual preferences some of which cannot be changed!

Thanks
Hi ElDiablo and thanks for the question. Since October 2023 I have been studying the 991 and 992 Carrera market fairly closely with a view to returning to 911 ownership. I even had that Price Tracker add-on in Autotrader (until it was removed) to see how prices had been varying over the last few months. The 992 prices in particular have moved dramatically (read downwards) by thousands in most cases for their Carreras and ten's of thousands for the GTS variants - especially if they had the manual transmissions (very few and far between). I was only interested in the GTS, 4S and 4GTS and then with a specific spec such as PSE, glass roof and sport design kit. By speaking to a number OPC dealers and indies, the general sense was despite the manual being a brilliant piece of kit on the latest 911s, very very people were buying them. Those that had bought new manuals suffered the most in terms of depreciation. Two indies in particular (Ventura Collection and Stirlings) said they wouldn't touch any manual 992s as they had found manual 991s very difficult to shift on. The only way in which they might entertain buying a used manual car from anyone would be if there was a significant reduction in asking price ie. well below the market value as they would then take on the risk of having a car sitting on their forecourt for many many months. Other indies that have a manual 992 GTS (at the time of writing this) include JZM - a lovely jet black example which I went to test drive. It was at £104k but has recently been reduced to £99k. Last year, when they first took the car on it was above £110k. It transpired that they have ot on sale-or-return so as to minimise their risk it would appear on a manual car. I offered £90K for it but the seller wouldn't budge any further. Hatfield Porsche on the other hand also had just the one manual 992 GTS for sale which they have slashed £11k off. The sales guy there told me it was very rare they sell any manuals at all.

After listening to all of this I decided - rather reluctantly - in the end to go for a PDK as I didn't want to be saddled with a car that I may struggle to sell in future. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HagarmT997
Back