Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Argghhhh a leak!! Any idea what it is?

Graeme Shaw

Hi all

Hoping someone can help tell what's leaking?

After pulling up tonight I noticed wet patches under my drivers door. :sad: See picture below.
After looking under the car I can see a plastic (I think) pipe running from the front of the car to the back. The liquid is cold and I cant smell anything.

Is it a air con pipe? Is it common and easily fixable? :?: Hopefully not gonna cost me more money, just spent a mint on a major service!

Thanks

If you put your hand under the sill you should feel an aircon pipe which is absolutely freezing. I had similar on the odd occasion and it was simply condensation from the pipe dripping down after I'd stopped after a long drive home.

Could be something else but thats my guess.

+1 on (external) condensation.

That's a relief if that's the case.
Thanks guys for coming back so fast!

Had air con on all the way home.

So if its condensation and if I don't have the air con on, I shouldn't get the puddle. I take it that the pipe is under no pressure when off? Actually is it under pressure when on?

Apologies if this is s daft question.....
Can these pipes leak? How can I tell if its condensation on the outside of the pipe or a leak from the inside?
Thanks again!

G

Yes the pipes can leak: they are quite fragile.

Hit them with a rock and they will burst.

However, a leak from inside will result in zero liquid deposited (although there is oil in the system, it will dwell without sealed fluid flow) - as the freon will just evaporate away as a gas once depressurised

You will also get zero cooling inside the cabin and zero cooling on the pipe work.

ie it ISN'T an internal (system) leak.

The system is pressurised everywhere.

Athough there is a low and high pressure side, either side of the evaporator behind the dash and either side of the compressor in the engine bay.

The cold pipes are on the lower pressure (return) leg.

And yes, test it yourself: no aircon, no puddle.

Excellent, thank you very much, you know your stuff as usual!

G :salut:

Also I'd be tempted to keep the AC on all the time by having the system in Auto mode. Most efficient keeps the oils circulating in the system and prolongs the life.

Biggest failure cause of AC systems is a lack of use through people not understanding that AC can both warm and cool the air as well as dehumidify the car quicker and better.

I include my wife in this category who fails to accept that using auto set at 22Deg in even hot weather the climate control in auto will rapidly cool the car without the need to put the setting in 'Lo' and the continually fiddle about trying to get the right level :pc:

Zingari said:
Biggest failure cause of AC systems is a lack of use through people not understanding that AC can both warm and cool the air as well as dehumidify the car quicker and better.

I include my wife in this category who fails to accept that using auto set at 22Deg in even hot weather the climate control in auto will rapidly cool the car without the need to put the setting in 'Lo' and the continually fiddle about trying to get the right level :pc:
ARGHH!!!..back at ya on that one! :frustrated:
:grin:

Zingari said:

I know your pain!

AC Pipe

I just had to change out my low pressure so the bigger of the 2 air con pipes that run along the drivers sill. The pipe is £90 new and as I was buying some other parts from Porsch a Part they had one for £50. It was excellent like new and now all fitted and ice cold air again! I found my leak as when having it re filled I had 10 cc of dye put in so we could easily detect the leak. I had quite a hole as only purchased the car a month or two back and looks like it was caught when jacking up the car. Common I am told? So not a disaster.....

eca02apc said:
Zingari said:

I know your pain!

My other half always switches mine off when travelling along "I'm saving petrol", I'm always switching it back on "I don't give a fook". Oh the fun we have on a long journey.

Re: AC Pipe

motokustom said:
I just had to change out my low pressure so the bigger of the 2 air con pipes that run along the drivers sill. The pipe is £90 new and as I was buying some other parts from Porsch a Part they had one for £50. It was excellent like new and now all fitted and ice cold air again! I found my leak as when having it re filled I had 10 cc of dye put in so we could easily detect the leak. I had quite a hole as only purchased the car a month or two back and looks like it was caught when jacking up the car. Common I am told? So not a disaster.....

Jacking up and bursting the air con pipes is very common especially at your local Hi Q Kwik ATS place as they just shove a trolley jack under not knowing what's there, I always supervise anyone other than me putting a jack under.

infrasilver said:
eca02apc said:
Zingari said:

I know your pain!

My other half always switches mine off when travelling along "I'm saving petrol", I'm always switching it back on "I don't give a fook". Oh the fun we have on a long journey.

I get exactly the same from my wife and my mother when she is in the car. Both of them turn off the AC in their cars and drive with the windows open :dont know: I have tried, oh I have tried to tell them that driving at 50 with the window open is worse for fuel consumption than the AC.

When in my car they complain the AC is giving them a sore throat, its not "Fresh air" :frustrated:

Hi,

May not be aircon - check - engine coolant main return pipe - easy damaged by clumsy jacking - its in that area!

Mick

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny-g
Back