Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

anyone rigged a reversing camera to PCM2.1

jimboger1

Trainee
hi
my recently purchased Cayman 987.1 has a reversing camera fitted, which was originally hooked up to an aftermarket head unit. However the seller re-installed the PCM2.1 prior to sale,
ive found on line on one of the US sites that the PCM2.1 can be easily switched on by an OPC to accept the feed from the camera
just wondered if anyone has done it
thanks
Jim

On Early Cayennes there was a TV package that turned the pcm into a TV .. this would have the RV inputs that in theory a camera could be added to ..

I'm not aware this was ever an option on your car ..

As there is no input for the camera then im unsure how it could be setup .

In short i would have to say no .. it's not possible without a total reworking of the PCM ..

Aftermarket head unit is the best way forward and you will have up to date nav , bluetooth and camera as required that way .

What deport said... ditch the pcm and stick a modern head unit in.
At least the reversing camera is already installed!

camera

thanks both - I did read on one of the US sites that the PCM2.1 did have those outputs, but when I removed mine to see, it didn't
I'm wondering if it was mainly a US option

I just installed the NMAutomotive CarPlay kit into my PCM unit on my 997.2. It gives you wireless CarPlay, AirPlay, Siri, Waze, Maps, Music etc off your phone. It also does reverse camera and front camera, but best of all it retains the existing Porsche PCM with volume knob, and with integration with steering wheel controls too. All previous PCM functions still work, you just get CarPlay when you switch to AUX. It takes over the screen and all the buttons and routes it to the CarPlay unit. Still looks OEM, but functionality is now 2021!

Installed it all myself, geez routing that reversing camera was a *****!

lordvonpineapple said:
I just installed the NMAutomotive CarPlay kit into my PCM unit on my 997.2. It gives you wireless CarPlay, AirPlay, Siri, Waze, Maps, Music etc off your phone. It also does reverse camera and front camera, but best of all it retains the existing Porsche PCM with volume knob, and with integration with steering wheel controls too. All previous PCM functions still work, you just get CarPlay when you switch to AUX. It takes over the screen and all the buttons and routes it to the CarPlay unit. Still looks OEM, but functionality is now 2021!

Installed it all myself, geez routing that reversing camera was a *****!

Seems NMautomotive only provide from PCM 3.1 upgrades. What PCM unit did you have before?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markyp
Back