Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone replaced the belt tensioner?

tbrown

As title, my tensioner needs replacing and should be a job I could do myself.
Any advice, links, parts required, problems would be appreciated.
[For a 1998 C2]
Thanks.

New belt tensioner - circa £65.

Although self-adjusting (to a point), they are effectively "wear and tear" - running out of tension any where from 80-100k miles (depends on load/use/weather/maintenance etc).

996+Regulator+0041210382667.jpg

Remove Polyrib Belt to access belt tensioner

Tools you will need:
13 mm socket or spanner (for airbox)
Flathead screwdriver (for airbox jubilee clips)
24 mm socket or spanner (for belt pulley)
XX? mm socket or spanner (for torsion spring unit bolts)
Marker pen or pencil

Method:

1.Remove airbox.

2.Mark belt travel direction with a pen (if you intend to reuse it).
Note: Never remove Polyrib belt when warm. The belt will deform and could be damaged.

3.Turn the tensioning roller 7 on the socket (24 mm) clockwise and simultaneously remove the belt from the drive pulleys.

4.Visually inspect the condition of the belt and replace it if necessary. Check belt pulley for damage.

5.Replace tensioner unit (two retaining bolts behind, sorry, don't know size - I'm guessing 10, 13, 15mm?) - you will need to rotate the tensioner arm as you fit new torsion spring unit - so the keyway aligns.

6.(Re)install Polyrib belt in the order shown. (new ones are only £20-30)

7.Twist the tensioning roller 7 clockwise and simultaneously place the belt on the idler pulley 8. Subsequently relieve the tensioning roller slowly.

8.Visually check whether the belt is correctly positioned on all pulleys.

9.Reinstall the airbox

Spiral Torsion Spring unit = #2 = 996.102.260.50
Tensioner pulley = #8
Tensioner arm = #3

tensioner_104.jpg

polyrib1_207.gif

polyrib2_363.gif

Here is a Boxster photo from Pelican Parts (same layout):

Pic1.jpg

The yellow arrow points to the top idler pulley, the green arrow points to the lower idler pulley. Although they look the same visually, there are two different part numbers for these two rollers. The purple arrow shows the tensioner pulley which is attached to a arm which is spring loaded by the pulley tensioner mechanism (blue arrow).

Excellent, everything i asked for :thumb:

OPC charged me £42 to change mine during a service. Last month, book recommends a change at 60k.

scottuk said:
OPC charged me £42 to change mine during a service. Last month, book recommends a change at 60k.

£42 seems very cheap for any work by an OPC.
Which book recommends a tensioner change at 60k?
The maintenance schedule that I have makes no mention of it,
just an inspection of the polyrib belt at 40 & 80k.

It isn't a service item (general mileage range given on my first reply, but it could last for twice that)

tbrown said:
scottuk said:

£42 seems very cheap for any work by an OPC.
Which book recommends a tensioner change at 60k?
The maintenance schedule that I have makes no mention of it,
just an inspection of the polyrib belt at 40 & 80k.

I agree and was pleasantly surprised at the £42 cost, but it's not a typo by me, and was the sum I was charged on top of my service.

Search 996 911 service schedule, 6th year/60k replace poly rib drive belt, hence the reason I had mine change last month at 57k during a service.

My apologies, I have just re- read your post, I think we are talking about two seperate item completely here, from me, only the belt was changed. :oops:

scottuk said:
My apologies, I have just re- read your post, I think we are talking about two seperate item completely here, from me, only the belt was changed. :oops:

Damn, I was getting hopeful for a really cheap part.
My belt has already been changed but it is the tensioner
that is starting to give up. It has done 138k though.

Belt takes 15 mins at worst.

Belt itself is £20

£42 was a rip off :puh:

(belt is indeed a scheduled service item, 96k miles, but I would advocate age too: every 8 years at most)

This is something I planned to do, but changed my mind as the service manual shows that you need to remove the alternator and all kinds of other things to get to the belt tensioner unit - how is it possible to get to the tensioner unit without removing the bracket assembly...? I thought the tensioner unit was bolted to the back of the bracket and the arm of the tensioner has to be drifted out.....

Can you post up the relevant section?

Not disbelieving you, just don't have to hand right now and it would add to the thread info.

Unfortunately I only have a poor mans version of the workshop manual, which wont allow me to easily reproduce anything directly from it :-|
- if someone else has a more accessible version, the relevant section is as follows:

13 73 19 Removing and installing belt tensioner............... 13 - 9

Screen shot?

Or else I can post when I get home.

Hmm, the cannell manual calls for loosening Alternator, air con compressor,
removing throttle body,power steering supply tank, steering hydraulic pump and supply lines.
Maybe I'll leave this to the garage.

Torque settings:

Attachments

• belttensionertorques2_185.jpg
    belttensionertorques2_185.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 5,653
  • belttensionertorques_280.jpg
    belttensionertorques_280.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 5,653

Forum statistics

Threads
Members