Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone removed their spare tyre to save weight / add space?

Hoblands

My last car didn't even have a space saver spare wheel, just one of those cans of 'inflate the tyre and get you home' gunk.

Has anyone here removed their spare to save a bit of weight and create some extra space in the boot or is it not advisable :?:

Paul

All 911 versions from the 997 generation onwards have tyre sealant instead of a spare wheel as standard. That doesn't mean that it is not sometimes a problem though.

Having a spare wheel or waiting for AA for 2 hours in the middle of nowhere.......I go for the spare wheel !!!!! Sealant is ***** ....by the time you realise you have a flat tyre and you park somwhere safe your tyre will be cut ....With all the messing about with that stuff I rather replace the wheel.

You'll get two well argued answers here.
-Those who have, and have never had a problem in X years and Y miles.
-Those who have, have had a problem, and have sworn never to be without a spare wheel.

I'm in the second camp :(

I had a 330i with runflats, and swapped runflats for Eagle F1s. 2,000 miles later, when I had my 2 year old son in the car, I had a puncture on a motorway. No problems, I thought, so I left the motorway and found somewhere safe to use the can of tyre sealant.

And then watched in horror as the sealant poured out of the hole at the bottom of the tyre.

So yeah, after that experience I always will carry a spare wheel.

Thanks for responses. Think I will let common sense prevail and leave all alone.... :)

Cheers, Paul.

Re: Anyone removed their spare tyre to save weight / add spa

Hoblands said:
My last car didn't even have a space saver spare wheel, just one of those cans of 'inflate the tyre and get you home' gunk.

Has anyone here removed their spare to save a bit of weight and create some extra space in the boot or is it not advisable :?:

Paul

yes binned it ages ago - it wont fit over my front brake calipers anyway so only any use if I have a rear wheel puncture, so got a GT2 trunk tidy and some tyre glue and dumped 20KG out of my car.

Hoblands said:

Paul

DO you think you'd really be able to tell the weight difference with the space saver taken out?

Niall996 said:
DO you think you'd really be able to tell the weight difference with the space saver taken out?

Of course: the front end will bob around even more disconcertingly.

[/quote]DO you think you'd really be able to tell the weight difference with the space saver taken out?[/quote]

Possibly not but I'd be able to squeeze in an extra few bottles of wine :wink:

DO you think you'd really be able to tell the weight difference with the space saver taken out?[/quote]

Possibly not but I'd be able to squeeze in an extra few bottles of wine :wink:[/quote]

I suppose if you have a puncture and you're stuck on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck, some wine would ease away the hours somewhat! I also heard somewhere that premium (heavy) bottles of South African Merlot are best for front end stability.

Your wheel may (or arguably may not :) ) add to the car's rigidity in the event of an accident.

Rialas said:
Your wheel may (or arguably may not :) ) add to the car's rigidity in the event of an accident.

+1

I've seen three cars where they have been rear-ended ('cos that's where most spare tyres live!) and the spare wheel in the spare wheel well has taken some of the impact energy (wheel/tyre was squashed, but not destroyed)

Of course on a 996 this only applies to the horizontally mounted spares found in the AWD chassis cars. The 2WD have them stored vertically "in space".

Mine is removed - and yes, the weight difference is very noticeable.
Rigidity... doubt it as it is only secured by one fixing, but as an extra buffer... perhaps.

We did remove the spare from our 996T to save weight and because it won't fit over the 6pot brakes. Then when we were going to VMax (we didn't make it) we were told to add a bit of weight to the front, our 996T is RWD.

Easiest way to add a bit of weight was put the spare back in.
Reason to add a bit of weight was the change from AWD to RWD saved some weight, removal of spare a bit more, but our car does not have adjustable suspension, just uprated Bilsteins on standard springs, another car (much more modified I must say) with the same RWD conversion felt loose at silly speeds, best compromise (cannot adjust the stance easily) was put a bit of weight back in.

The spare has been back in since.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xx22
Back