Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone know what this leak is

abcheetham

Hockenheim
Set off this morning, just nipped up the road and now have this stream of water(?) streaming out the engine, initially under pressure but now the engine is off it's slowed to a drip. Your diagnosis would be appreciated and I'm wondering if I can get it to the Porsche garage 10 miles away without it being too dangerous tothe engine.

Attachments

• image_312.jpg
    image_312.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 2,156
  • image_337.jpg
    image_337.jpg
  • image_791.jpg
    image_791.jpg
Looks like it's coming from the thermostat housing although the water pump is just to the right of the housing.
At the rate it's dripping out of there I don't think I would risk driving it,
especially if you have some kind of breakdown cover.
Get it transported to the garage.
Shouldn't cost the earth to repair if it's just the thermostat gasket.

Good Luck
Dave

DO NOT DRIVE UNTIL FIXED UNLESS YOU WANT A NEW ENGINE TOO

You could check if the thermostat housing is loose or cracked (ie check bolt tensions), else it's probably the pump housing gasket or cracked housing.

Engine didn't even get warm so no worries there, I'll tow it to the garage tomorrow :-/

Well that was lucky (if you get what I mean)

Diagnosis complete and it turns out it's the water pump :-/ so she's about to be towed off to the garage To get fixed

abcheetham said:
Diagnosis complete and it turns out it's the water pump :-/ so she's about to be towed off to the garage To get fixed

Could have been worse. Much, much worse :thumb:

Well while she's in I'm getting the entire health check and they're going to do whatever crops up so she'll be beautifully sorted when she comes out :)

What was the mileage Andy when it failed?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hetryx
Back