Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone installed a dashcam to their 991.2?

CardinalZeus77

Trainee
Hi. I am looking to install a front and rear dashcam to my car. Any recommendations and does it affect warranty?

Not on a 9912, but I have installed a front and rear dashcam on a 991.1. Historically if you hard wire anything into the fuse box it would have been a pain when renewing warranty as they would have made you swap over the power wire to a temp 12V socket input and put the fuse box to stock. I have used fuse piggy back taps to hardwire the system in place.

Plenty of choices for Dashcams these days, depends on your budget, pic quality, size of unit and usability. As an install and forget solution with decent mobile apps I like the Thinkware cameras, something like the 800 Pro. Blackvue also offer excellent solutions.

If you are looking for 24h+ event recording for street parking or extended use for road trips etc you can also install a small additional battery which powers the cameras and recharges from the cars own main battery when the car is running. This ensures that your car battery never runs flat. Plenty of hidey holes in a Porsche to discretely mount something like a Cellink B power supply. Your dashcams run off this and the Cellink is piggybacked into the fuse box. So a very neat solution.

Now if you are renewing the warranty and the dealers have seen the car within the last 18 months and all recall work is up to date, the dealers wont need to see the car for the 111 point check. If the car is not under warranty and rather than extending you are starting a fresh warranty then a 111 point check will be required and the car will have to be stock. Some main dealers are a little more forgiving then others.

With regard to actual warranty claims you wont have any issues unless you do something silly and mess up the fuse box / cars electronics and thats the reason for your warranty claim.

Dashcams are part of modern day life, especially if you live in a city or busy residential area. For some its also an Insurance requirement.

Hope that helps
Jungle

Jungle650 said:
Not on a 9912, but I have installed a front and rear dashcam on a 991.1. Historically if you hard wire anything into the fuse box it would have been a pain when renewing warranty as they would have made you swap over the power wire to a temp 12V socket input and put the fuse box to stock. I have used fuse piggy back taps to hardwire the system in place.

Plenty of choices for Dashcams these days, depends on your budget, pic quality, size of unit and usability. As an install and forget solution with decent mobile apps I like the Thinkware cameras, something like the 800 Pro. Blackvue also offer excellent solutions.

If you are looking for 24h+ event recording for street parking or extended use for road trips etc you can also install a small additional battery which powers the cameras and recharges from the cars own main battery when the car is running. This ensures that your car battery never runs flat. Plenty of hidey holes in a Porsche to discretely mount something like a Cellink B power supply. Your dashcams run off this and the Cellink is piggybacked into the fuse box. So a very neat solution.

Now if you are renewing the warranty and the dealers have seen the car within the last 18 months and all recall work is up to date, the dealers wont need to see the car for the 111 point check. If the car is not under warranty and rather than extending you are starting a fresh warranty then a 111 point check will be required and the car will have to be stock. Some main dealers are a little more forgiving then others.

With regard to actual warranty claims you wont have any issues unless you do something silly and mess up the fuse box / cars electronics and thats the reason for your warranty claim.

Dashcams are part of modern day life, especially if you live in a city or busy residential area. For some its also an Insurance requirement.

Hope that helps
Jungle

Thanks Jungle. Very helpful and useful information :thumb:. I will look at the Blackvue and Thinkware cameras.

Jungle650 said:

Hope that helps
Jungle

Jungle - Is there anything you don't know !!!

The human car encyclopaedia 😀😀

jasemfc said:
[quote="

Plenty unfortunately ! But I love cars and especially if its gadget or detailing related..happy to add my 2p worth. We are lucky there are a number of knowledgable people that contribute on the site. So pretty much any question can be answered in one shape or another. Its all good and we all keep learning !

Jungle

The only thing I would add is that the rechargeable battery options are expensive (relative to the overall cost of a solution) and unless you get the really expensive ones they are slow to recharge so you need constant distant runs......its more common to fit voltage sensors that cut off the permant live supply to the camera if the cars battery voltage drops below a threshold.....the better ones you can vary that threshold, they are only between £15 and £40 (branded ones are more expensive)....

Nb all of the above is only if you want recording when the car is parked / locked, if not you just connect directly to an ignition supply

If you are going to use parking mode also check the spec of the camera, the most flexibility is where the camera has a perm live, aux live connection who it senses when the car is parked (ie ignition live off) and reverts to a power save mode for recording......some just have a perm live and simply sense no movement after say 5 min but tend not to power save as well........also ideally you want the camera to have a parking mode time limit eg 2,4,6,8,12,24 hours before they cut off......none tend to have voltage sensors which is what you need a 'hard wire" install kit for...........installing without parking mode makes it a lot simpler but parking mode is what most people want for car park dings etc.....but you have to mitigate battery power drain somehow, left unmonitored or without the separate power supply as stated above and they will flatten your battery

jonttt said:
The only thing I would add is that the rechargeable battery options are expensive (relative to the overall cost of a solution) and unless you get the really expensive ones they are slow to recharge so you need constant distant runs......its more common to fit voltage sensors that cut off the permant live supply to the camera if the cars battery voltage drops below a threshold.....the better ones you can vary that threshold, they are only between £15 and £40 (branded ones are more expensive)....

Nb all of the above is only if you want recording when the car is parked / locked, if not you just connect directly to an ignition supply

If you are going to use parking mode also check the spec of the camera, the most flexibility is where the camera has a perm live, aux live connection who it senses when the car is parked (ie ignition live off) and reverts to a power save mode for recording......some just have a perm live and simply sense no movement after say 5 min but tend not to power save as well........also ideally you want the camera to have a parking mode time limit eg 2,4,6,8,12,24 hours before they cut off......none tend to have voltage sensors which is what you need a 'hard wire" install kit for...........installing without parking mode makes it a lot simpler but parking mode is what most people want for car park dings etc.....but you have to mitigate battery power drain somehow, left unmonitored or without the separate power supply as stated above and they will flatten your battery

Thank you jonttt. Very useful info. Shame Porsche don't do their own solution for dashcams. I had the BMW dashcam in my M3 and it worked great with parking mode and there was no power drain.

Parking mode is a good thing to mention.

@jonttt is correct adding an additional power supply can be expensive but does ensure you have more than 12 hours of parking mode safely and continuously. Car batteries can weaken quickly and Porsche items can be sensitive at the best of times, especially on the 911. As an example the Cellink option I used can provide upto 45 hours recording time and recharges to full capacity in 40 mins from a dead battery. But just a 15 min drive will provide more than enough power into the Cellink for the vast majority of situations , ie Supermarket runs, overnight parking etc. Battery technology has improved a fair bit over the years. But like most things in life you pay for what you get.

If the camera you install does not have a dedicated parking mode ( most do these days ) or does not have a voltage monitor to protect the cars battery installing something like the Magic Pro ( circa £35 ) allows you to control both items. A manual dedicated switch can instantly switch on parking mode for that quick run out to the supermarket. It also has settings for voltage to ensure that the cars battery is not depleted. The down side is for parking mode you have to remember to flick the switch if the camera does not have that function. Its also not providing any additional power supply, just ability to monitor cars battery and a manual function for recording. iThats why its so much easier to just purchase a camera with these functions already built in for a set and forget solution. Which is what most people want.

The Thinkware cameras have parking mode and voltage meters built in to protect against draining your car battery and will detect that the car is stopped with the ignition off. As @jonttt mentioned you can select a number of variables from sensitivity, to voltage cut off.

One other thing worth mentioning is the Thinkware cams can also include fixed and regular speed camera sights. Which can be useful if driving in a different location to your norm. All switchable on/off.

I' not a Thinkware salesman by the way !! !!!!

Jungle.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MS-Multi...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This looks decent price with full voltage and time parameters which can be set...its has good reviews online and has the added bonus of a battery monitor display as the fuses are normally in the footwell areas it can be discretely mounted .........I've used the garmin hardwire kit in the past which halfords have on offer for £20, this does have variable pin jumpers for min voltage levels but its not documented (you just have to remove the box cover and change a jumper setting).....the magic pro is good but twice the price and the first I've linked to is the only one I've seem that actually acts as a voltage display as well.........I've picked one up to play around with but have not had chance to try it on a car yet ........

I have a Garmin hardwire kit fitted to a range rover which are notorious for battery low charge problems, I have it set to 4 hour parking mode (on the camera) and 12v low battery warning and have never had any problems with the car battery even though the car has not been used much in the last 12 months.

ps I prefer cameras without screens, they are a lot more discreet and the better ones have easy Wifi access to your phone and display a lower res "wifi" picture which is fine to review on your phone without any lag / delays, if you need to download the original it can take some time but thats irrespective of whether the camera has a screen or not ......

I think manufacturers are slowely waking up to missed opportunities with dashcams, a bit like sat nav originally I think they will become part of the standard package eventually linked to existing parking cameras :roll:

ps I do not have dashcams fitted to my porsches :hand:

Jungle650 said:
jasemfc said:
[quote="

Plenty unfortunately ! But I love cars and especially if its gadget or detailing related..happy to add my 2p worth. We are lucky there are a number of knowledgable people that contribute on the site. So pretty much any question can be answered in one shape or another. Its all good and we all keep learning !

Jungle

All adds up to making it a great forum 👍

Thanks guys :thumb:

I think of all the nonsense they are putting into new 911's....

Swarm technology? Microphones in the wheels arches to tell me when its wet? Door handles that pop in and out? Rear wheel steer? Bla bla bla...what a load of nonsense.

Then they don't let you hard wire a dashcam?

When are they gonna put in some Telsa Microwave like Sentry mode....ie it has cameras from the factory, and they capture everything! This is what i want in my 911. This is far more useful to me than all that other guff they spend their time working on....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrmward27
Back