Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anybody using Falken 453's on their car?

Citori

Up for a new set of tyres.
Will no doubt settle on Conti's but I have heard very good reviews about Falken 453's and Nokian Z-Line however the Z-lines don't come in my size so they're out.
I went in to a "premium tyre store" close to me in east London and the sales person laughed when I suggested Falkens and then tried to sell me some Bridgestones at double the price.
mmm, I wonder if he works on commission?
:?: :chin: :dont know:
I don't track, just occasional use, no hooning about, just the odd blast every now and then..

Citori said:
I went in to a "premium tyre store" close to me in east London and the sales person laughed when I suggested Falkens
The same thing was said about Kumho a while back..the ecsta is now a well respected track tyre.

Well its what my turbo has on it.

They were on when I bought it and so not my choice.

However, I have yet to unstick them and so far I cannot tell they are "cheap".

Semm OK to me.

I've got the old FK452's on mine (not tried the 453's yet) but they've always been a great mid range tyre, and behaved incredibly well at Millbrook.

Everything I had read about the replacement for the FK452 had been great til I saw what Wiz posted. For my next set I'll probably now go Conti's.

Not the same tyre but I have been through 6 x Falken 452s on my Audi A4 and they seem to offer a good balance of wet and dry grip. Alternatively if you search on eBay, you can get some premium used tyres (with 6 or 7mm remaining tread) for about half the the price of what they are sold for brand-new.

~ Maxie

kas750 said:
Citori said:
I went in to a "premium tyre store" close to me in east London and the sales person laughed when I suggested Falkens
The same thing was said about Kumho a while back..the ecsta is now a well respected track tyre.

Salesman 'talks bollox' shocker :grin:

Are you on 18s Citori?

I'm on Vredestein Sessantas, which have been excellent, but if you choose them add a few extra PSI to stiffen-up the sidewalls.

There's a really new Vredestein out which is supposed to be the best tyre ever! Ultrac Vorti R - just a plain Vorti might be a cool tyre to try (for me please :grin: ) if you can find any yet.

On the Spec.B I've got modern P-zeros, and they are VERY good, though it is difficult to tell as the handling/suspension on that car is sublime and so might make-up for a poor tyre, all of the reviews put it at or near the top.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-EVO-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

You MUST order the proper/modern P-zero, not the sh1te N-rated thing designed in the 1990s.

Other than that, the tyre at the top of most reviews is either Wizs Goodyear or the Hankook S1 EVO2.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-Sport-Auto-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-Auto-Bild-Max-Performance-Tyre-Test.htm

I'd also consider strong old favorite Bridgestone S-02 (not the S-02A or S03) which is brilliant in the dry or on a track, or the Uniroyal Rainsport2, which is brilliant in the wet (obviously) and good enough in the dry.

Yoko Advan Sport gets a good write-up, but I've never tried them.

Enough choice for you? :grin:

My 18"452s have seen 2 x Grandprix circuit track days Silverstone and Spa and performed flawless and as 993s eat rear Contis within 8k miles I doubt I will fit those again

453s or Vredestein next for me

Thanks for the replies everybody.

I like the sound of the Eagle F1's, they get great reviews all round. However, they are not available in 205/50/17 which I find strange cos I thought that was a very common size...
The nearest size is 215/45/17 which has a slightly reduced rolling radius. The overall wheel diameter is 0.4 of an inch smaller.
To get the correct rolling radius you have to got to 225/45/17 which I didn't really want to do as I understand it can cause tramlining and the rims at 7 inch are a little small for that size tyre.
The Hankooks have the same issue with one size not being available.

Steve.

I just put the Eagle F1's on my mk5 golf and have been very impressed, ridiculous grip in the dry.

Citori said:
Thanks for the replies everybody.

I like the sound of the Eagle F1's, they get great reviews all round. However, they are not available in 205/50/17 which I find strange cos I thought that was a very common size...

On 17s I would either get the Rainsport2 for real UK weather, or the ancient but brilliant Bridgestone S-02 for dry weather.

Don't get me wrong, the S-02 is great in the wet, it won't try to kill you, but it excels in the dry. Likewise the Rainsport is great in the dry, but I wouldn't want to do a track-day on them.

ETA if you do get the Rainsports, for the 205/50 get the 93W rated version.

Thanks OC.
Somehow I don't think that ultimate wet weather handling is a top priority as it's usually tucked up in the garage when the weathers bad! :D :grin:

I think the choice is down to the following.
Conti SP2's £576
Goodyear eagle F1 £544
Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 2. £522.

But the wild card is the Nokian Z G2's £436 :?:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nokian/Z-G2.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-Auto-Bild-Max-Performance-Tyre-Test.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2011-Sport-Auto-Max-Performance-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

:chin:

Like all things, you read 10 reviews and get 10 different answers.

Steve.

Steve, are you finally going for 17's? What are you doing with your 18's?

I'm very confused - you said the F1 is not available in the correct sized 17s.

I don't think you'd enjoy 225s on 7J up front.

What wheel size are you talking about? :dont know:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H0wee
Back