Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Any Downsides to a remap??

Lig

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi all,

I know a bunch of you have recently had a 'group' remap and I have read nothing but positive comments... I am thinking about doing it also.... BUT are there any downsides to it at all (apart from being £350 out of pocket :lol:)

I am thinking in terms of....

1. 'change' in fuel economy (not that this is an issue but would like to know)
2. Stress on engine components – as these cars have been running the 'same' for 18 years will this different fuel map effect any components in any way?
3. Driveability..?
4. Why didn't Porsche do this originally – Is it because it would have pushed the engine to the limit and reduced its life?

Any comments welcome...

Cheers,
Lig.

No downsides at all in my book. All it's good :thumb:

Go on, ring Wayne ASAP!!!!!

To answer your questions:

1. 'change' in fuel economy (not that this is an issue but would like to know)
Haven't noticed any difference either way. Then again I don't really measure it.

2. Stress on engine components – as these cars have been running the 'same' for 18 years will this different fuel map effect any components in any way?

Can't see this being an issue. All that you are effectively doing is to fuel it more efficiently for the conditions

3. Driveability..?

Massively improved. THIS IS THE BIGGEST BENEFIT

4. Why didn't Porsche do this originally – Is it because it would have pushed the engine to the limit and reduced its life?

The fuelling map is done to suit all manner of fuels that could be thrown at the engine. Us 993ers are a picky bunch so entertaining crap fuel is an absolutely no no. Tesco's finest 99 / V Power all the way. Porsche obviously have to be conservative in their approach

The only downside I've ever experienced after a remap is the even bigger silly grin on my face.

Often OEM maps are "detuned" for emissions and to cater for a range of fuel grades and atmospheric pressures/temperatures around the world

They have to work over a range of wear parameters too (from box fresh to miles and years down the road).

Of course they also include some longevity parameters, but to be honest, once a car is 10 years old or an engine hits 100k+, the car manufacturer has little interest in its ongoing capabilities, perhaps even sooner, so longevity factors are almost literally just not blowing up under warranty!

Many maps just remove the detune when they push these out further.

A bad map can burn out your cat in less than 1,000 miles.

A live remap would be best, as then you can actually see the map is achieving JUST the optimum and no more or no less.

Is it that noticeable for a non-turbo car?

I am all for remaps and bit of serial offender, current M5 mapped by DMS, Defender mapped twice, wife's X6 mapped by DMS all with great success. All happen to be turbo cars which I am told lend themselves to this process.

I would love to think I could get a bit more from the engine just to heighten the response and give a bit extra shove.

Is everyone who has gone down this route pleased with the result?

Have to agree with Graeme's comments. Plus you get lots of pops and crackles from the exhaust! :)

P'raps not a massive increase in power on a n/a car but the other benefits make it well worthwhile.

I can't see any negatives from the remap. Get it done!

Lig said:
.... BUT are there any downsides to it at all
Lig.

Only when you let someone organise it as a "Group Buy" on here :roll:

You're not far from 9M so should be no problem............

He's a lovely chap^^^^

Bit too much time on his hands, but heh ho.

I've left the proverbial ball in Wayne's court. He was coming back to me but I haven't heard from him in some time. I'm not a big fan of chasing after people either. My assumption is he didn't fancy it or couldn't make the numbers work.

highway said:
He's a lovely chap^^^^

I've left the proverbial ball in Wayne's court. He was coming back to me but I haven't heard from him in some time. I'm not a big fan of chasing after people either. My assumption is he didn't fancy it or couldn't make the numbers work.

That's a pity :?:

Give him another try in the New Year - there's plenty of interest down South.

I appreciate the interest here. However I'm not minded to keep chasing him. Not how I roll.

Is everyone who has gone down this route pleased with the result?

I travelled from Glasgow as part of the group buy to let Wayne tinker with my car. The car is much more responsive in the lower revs (up to 4500 rpm), if I'm driving the car fast I tend to be in the 4000 to 6500 rev range and haven't noticed any discernible difference to power delivery through the twistys.

Was a full day out and I understand that people may not have the time to do so............I probably could have got similar results with a local tuner and the facilities at 9M aren't breathtaking but Wayne does know these cars inside out and I enjoyed poking around the garage and the chat............if your a petrolhead you'll enjoy it.

I can understand Wayne's reluctance to go to another set up so a day out may well be the only option for our Southern members.......

Hummer said:
highway said:
He's a lovely chap^^^^

That's a pity :?:

Give him another try in the New Year - there's plenty of interest down South.

Agreed on this. Wayne was in the process of moving house when this was going on - so it's worth re-engaging.

If it turns out that this doesn't work for him organisationally, then that's just the way it goes. Your group buy initiative is what triggered us Northern boys into acting - so all power to you. :thumbs:

One last thought; from what I can make out, Zingers is a lovely chap. The more I post on this site, the more it is apparent that we perptually run the risk of offending each other (I have done it more times than I can remember LOL). But I wouldn't have it any other way!!! :thumb:

Fully appreciate the chap may be busy with other things. As are many of us I'm sure. Whilst I tried to get the ball rolling with a group buy, it has stalled. I'm unable to progress further. If someone else wishes to make contact with him and reignite interest in developing this, perhaps in the new year, please do so. Peace be upon you all!

Highway, could you post up all the contact details you have for him?

I think I may take a couple of days off and drive up't north in the spring and get it done; possibly with call into CoG on the way through. It could be quite the drive home... :drive:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yakker
Back