Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Annual Service End Of March Plus Brake Caliper Repaint Query

cyruspower

The 993 is going in to Byfleet towards the end of March for an annual service, which will only be a minor. I'm sure I'll find something else for them to put on it while its in, maybe a cup tower brace?

I need to have the brake calipers repainted too, which can apparently be done on the car while it's on the ramp at Byfleet, thus saving a fair bit of cash.

Has anyone had them repainted this way? Or do they need to come off, stripped and baked properly, to ensure they are durable enough?

I would only ever have them done off the car......but mine have been fully refurbed by Tomas at Porsche calipers.....for me it was the only way to go as my calipers were well worn.

madalaa said:
I would only ever have them done off the car......but mine have been fully refurbed by Tomas at Porsche calipers.....for me it was the only way to go as my calipers were well worn.

Cheers Andy, did you take them off yourself and send them off to him?

Double post as site keeps hanging today.

Dude they can only be tarted up in situ. This usually looks fine unless they are a complete mess.

For a proper detailed repaint. They gotta come off.

I want to do mine too but it's a complete ball ache, and will certainly lead to new discs, pads, back plates you name it. Hence left well alone for now.

dommorton said:
Dude they can only be tarted up in situ. This usually looks fine unless they are a complete mess.

I want to do mine too but it's a complete ball ache, and will certainly lead to new discs, pads, back plates you name it. Hence left well alone for now.

Mine are pretty much mint apart from lacquer peel on one of them. Reckon it shouldn't be too tough to just lacquer them in situ?

Yeah easy. Did mine on the last car in like 30 mins and made a massive difference.

:hand: Standards are slipping chaps. OCD rules normally dictate full removal, strip down, refurbish and powder coat with a bill of at least £1k :wack:

If they look good I personally would still recommend that it is worth taking them off to give them a good clean and to remove any build up of brake dust.
You can easily do this without removing the hoses, you will just need something to rest them on and some string to tie them up to prevent them from falling against the brake disc and from stressing the hose.

It may also be a good idea to pop the pads out and check the plates and the metal edges at each end of the pad for corrosion, then apply some fresh copper grease and pop them back in.

I cleaned mine last month and plan to repeat it every couple of years.

Just my opinion :thumb:

Attachments

• caliper_clean_165.jpg
    caliper_clean_165.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 4,325
dommorton said:

I hear ya....My front calipers are a little faded. The rears are OK but I`m preparing myself for the big spend at some stage. Already got the new discs and pads sitting in the cupboard ready to go on at when the calipers are overhauled.

Will get wheels done at the same time so its going to be a spanking bill.

Byfleet offered me this service when I had one of their free checks a couple of years ago. It's some guy that does it for them and only paints the front of the caliper - although this procedure may have changed since then.

I thinks they said it was £250 ??

How much is the Porsche Calipers service from Thomas?

cyruspower said:

Refer to my previous post - IIRC someone mentioned £1k for all 4 :eek:

Hi Sam

Don't waste your money on a on-the-car job. As you know I see more calipers in various states up close and personal. Knowing you, I'd go for a proper job with Thomas at Porsche Calipers. It may be less convenient in terms of having them removed but but JC they are so much better and will be sorted properly.

I think its like £250-300 for the basic strip and repaint, more if seals and stuff required, certainly not £1k!!

There's not enough in it for a dealer/indy to take off and send away whilst keeping the price down, hence why they offer the on the car job. It would be a great service if Byfleet could get a service going via Thomas.

Zingari said:
cyruspower said:

Refer to my previous post - IIRC someone mentioned £1k for all 4 :eek:

Wow, are you sure Brian? That's 1/5 of a very good entire glass out respray!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PatrickRas
Back