Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Android head unit fitted

Jason Taylor

Montreal
I started my hunt for a simple solution to integrate Bluetooth into my car and following a post on here was swayed by the reports on the model specific cheap android head units from Ali express which I bought 3 months or so ago. I've finally got round to having it fitted. The main reason for the delay was colour matching the surround to the existing trim (I'm very ocd and a mismatch however slight wouldn't work for me) the paint shop took 3 goes but finally nailed it after I took out the existing unit and they used it to have a custom colour mixed to matched at there supplier's.
Overall I'm very impressed with the final look (I wanted it to look as though it could have been fitted by Porsche themselves) and I believe it does, the wireless CarPlay is great but I do need to work out how change the start up screen and wallpaper to Porsche badge images which should make it feel more oem. I found a local mobile installer who did the job for £80 which I felt was very reasonable, I have him coming back tomorrow to fit a reversing camera (£165 supplied and fitted). I would definitely recommend this mod for anyone who is unhappy with the standard set up.

Attachments

• bdc20003_2022_4126_813e_12a1fdcb7791_103.jpeg
    bdc20003_2022_4126_813e_12a1fdcb7791_103.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,806
Nice job - looks the business. The Android units are a must these days as they're the only thing out there that givers you full flexibility of everything you may want. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Looks good! Which fascia surround did you go for? I'm partway through a similar install using a slightly different headunit (I dont have steering controls so need physical buttons) and about to bite the bullet and dremel the standard "Connects2" part to fit the HU better. Sadly it seems a lot of the Chinese HUs dont actually use the standard double DIN size.

Can highly recommend 'agama' launcher, much better than the stock android launcher.

Attachments

• pxl_20211120_120133708_962.jpg
    pxl_20211120_120133708_962.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,794
The unit is model specific so the fascia is part of the unit, unfortunately it comes in black which was a chew getting the colour matched, I have steering wheel controls which work with the unit out of the box so I don't need buttons

Deffo worth buying a bluetooth OBDII plug so you can monitor the car with the head unit and also read and clear faults.

In the settings menu, under the "car" option (from memory) there's a "Factory Settings" option.

The passcode us usually 126.

Here you can set the wall paper and splash screen to something more suitable :)

I've ditched the wireless Android Auto and just tethered the unit to my phone, so run it as it's own Android device with Maps, Amazon Music etc.. And then all the steering wheel controls work which is nice.

thats a really elegant solution. If you dont mind sharing what head unit you bought (and from where) and who did the install etc (and where in the country you are obviously) id quite like to replicate what you have done... iv wanted to do it for a while but just dont want a shoddy job...

sorry forgot to ask, would this work with the Bose system i have in the car?

talal said:
thats a really elegant solution. If you dont mind sharing what head unit you bought (and from where) and who did the install etc (and where in the country you are obviously) id quite like to replicate what you have done... iv wanted to do it for a while but just dont want a shoddy job...

sorry forgot to ask, would this work with the Bose system i have in the car?

Thanks, I'm really happy with the end result, had the reversing camera fitted today with works really really well and integrates seamlessly with the car.
From top,to bottom, the head unit was specific to the car and bought from aliexpress, search on the platform for 'android 997 head unit" and you will find lots of supplier's, from memory I paid about £250, I also have Bose and bought a unit which will integrate with the head unit/car, I'm sure someone will comment with the exact requirement. I'm based in the northeast, if your close I'm happy to provide contact details for the installer.

I have also gone down this route. It's plug and play - the supplied harness (2 versions, PCM2.1 and PCM3 - both in the box) fit whichever you have.

On mine the splash screen was pre-set to Porsche but it's in the options menu to choose from any number of manufacturers.

The thread that started it for me is on Rennlist:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1154248-cheap-android-head-unit-review.html

It only works, though, if you have steering wheel controls. The on-screen controls would not, in my opinion, be safe to use whilst moving.

I used Nissan Grey for the console - the code is in the thread above. Excellent match - as close as the natural variations in black plastics.

Rich

Have you got a link for the actual unit?

You do require an adapter if there is bose in the car, search aliexpress they are readily available

Jason Taylor said:
You do require an adapter if there is bose in the car, search aliexpress they are readily available

Apologies, do you know specifically what I should search? I looked up Porsche Bose Adapter and found nothing

Search this on eBay, sorry struggling to post link, Fibre Optic Amp MOST Decoder RCA Adaptor For Porsche 911 GT2 GT3 997 (2005-2012)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NBavers
Back