Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

And the lights flashed

Used Porsche

Banned
Silverstone Classic - great - I'll take the 911. No hurry, A34 is as busy as expected. The usual mix of trucks and caravans and holiday families.
Also right hand lane hogging like you cant beleive. Hatchbacks pulling in front with two flashes of the indicator. No safe distances being observed - I keep mine and the BMW in front slows for traffic, I have to brake moderately - the Big Merc behind is hitting his brakes hard and giving a good impression of an F1 car warming his tyres as he slews all over his lane. He backs off from my tail. Thanks.
Up front is a huge empty inside lane, get in it - gradually, slowly move to the back of the only car in the lane for a mile. The blue Scenic with the roof box has left a good sized gap to allow me to move to the overtaking lane, I indicate and start to make my move - the Scenic closes the gap to a car length - I just make it as it sits so close behind me I think its going to touch. Flashing lights from it, then more flashing lights as it exits at the next junction.

So why would they risk their familly just to stop a Porsche from pulling an overtake?

After Silverstone - A34 northbound 3 mile queue where a caravan has landed on its side.

Why am I not surprised?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67900

Why?

Because driving standards, lane discipline, awareness and courtesy are practically non-existant on our roads these days. I drive 40k miles a year in my line of work and see this sort of behaviour every day. Personally I think everyone needs re-educating on how to drive cos standards are at rock bottom.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67901

I have experienced this from every angle and in every car you can imagine, and as a pedestrian and have come to the following conclusion.

the vast majority of drivers when they close that door and drive, become totally selfish, only seeing themselves on the road, and it is not that they deliberatley stop you crossing the road, or overtaking etc etc, it is they cant, it would seem that their thought process changes as they step in to the drivers seat, and become so protective of the right to be first, have the space etc etc, education isnt going to change that, what you need is harsh penalties from the police so that they are forced to think,

Instead of the damn speed cameras

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67906

Maybe its time to get a really really big set of air horns and a flashing headlight relay (like Japanese Sports car racing), with a spoiler sticker that says....

GET INTO THE INSIDE LANE
EXCEPT WHEN OVERTAKING!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67925

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by 993_2S on 30 July 2006

Why?

Because driving standards, lane discipline, awareness and courtesy are practically non-existant on our roads these days. I drive 40k miles a year in my line of work and see this sort of behaviour every day. Personally I think everyone needs re-educating on how to drive cos standards are at rock bottom.
A quick trip to Italy should improve most driving standards, they really are bad there!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67938

TAILGATING IS THE BIG PROBLEM (from Pistonheads)

National Motorway Month kicks off

Tailgating's the problem not speed
More than a quarter of motorists (26 per cent) are "an accident waiting to happen" because they drive too close to the vehicle in front on motorways, according to a new nationwide survey of 22,105 vehicles released by leading motoring bodies at the start of National Motorway Month (NMM) yesterday.

The worst offenders in the survey were on the M4 in Wales, where over 50 per cent of drivers were too close to the vehicle in front. The next worst were Midlands motorists on the M42, where 39 per cent were too close, and the M9 in Scotland, at 26 per cent.

The best motorway behaviour was found on the M5, where just 1 in 12 drivers were tailgating, followed by the M20 and the M2.

Researchers from the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists) surveyed a sample of UK motorways on two successive Wednesdays in June and July, before feeding data to the RAC Foundation for analysis.

The RAC Foundation, IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists), the Freight Transport Association and BSM Driving Schools jointly promote National Motorway Month (NMM). Together NMM campaigners have highlighted tailgating as the number one driver error on the UK's motorway network, and are calling on drivers to remember the "two second rule". Highways Agency (HA) research into safe driving found that tailgating contributed 29 per cent of all injury accidents on the network. The Highway Code says that you should allow at least a two second gap between you and the vehicle in front on roads carrying fast traffic. But this latest survey shows that this is alien to many motorway users. If the weather is poor, the 'two second rule' needs to be doubled.

Motorways are the safest roads in the UK but with there are still more than 8,000 drivers killed or seriously injured (KSI) on the network each year. More than 42 per cent of crashes occur within 1 km of a junction.

HA chiefs are of the opinion that tailgating - or "close following" - is a major contributor to crashes and are currently researching the problem with a view to improving safety and tackling poor driver behaviour. It's notable that they didn't argue that speeding was the biggest problem.

In 2004, National Motorway Month highlighted the success of chevrons in reducing tailgating. NMM campaigners have this week welcomed the news that the Highways Agency is introducing new white chevrons on the M1 between junctions 26 and 27, together with signs to advise drivers to "keep two chevrons apart." This will result in a total of nine network locations with chevrons.

NMM members would also like to see more frequent reminders via the roadside Variable Message Signal (VMS) boards which could also make a difference to driver behaviour.

IAM chief examiner Peter Rodger said: "It's obvious that too many drivers simply forget their speed, regardless of the conditions on the motorway or what is in the lane ahead of them. They then follow other vehicles as if they were travelling much more slowly. So they are ignoring the two second rule - designed to help you leave enough space between you and the vehicle in front so you can pull up safely if it suddenly slows down or stops.

"Regardless of what indicators are available on the motorway, every driver should make it standard practice to leave a good gap, adjusting their following distance regularly to take into account weather and traffic conditions," said Rodger, who was an examiner at the Metropolitan Police Driving School before taking up his role as the IAM Chief Examiner earlier this year.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68066

You want to try the A64 around York, something about this road makes all the f*ckwits pull over the to the outside lane and sit there, regardless of wether or not there are any other cars on the road. Its unbelivable.

A chap the other night, finally pulled over to let me past, and then pulled straight back out again once I had gone past, no cars for miles. So I sit cruising in the inside land and him in the outside quickly going backwards.

Drives me right up the wall every time :evil:

Whilst we are one it, watched a women turn right on a roundabout the other day, phone in one hand, unable to indicate, almost side swiped a car in the outside lane as she couldn't turn the wheel with one hand and then narrowley threaded the car through two more cars as she exitied the roundabout without indicating.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68068

Lane dicipline was the one thing that amazed me in Germany - they are great at it. The inside lane is only for overtaking. We seem to think of it as the fast lane - it's not.

It was a true pleasure driving over there, I didn't even mind being flashed by the S4 - he was just warning me to say he was coming up fast (I was only doing 220 kph).

It drove me nuts when I got back on the M20 - why are people so bad at it in the uk?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68094

In UK the drivers are constantly being brain-washed, right from the time of passing the test, that as long as you stick to the spped limit, everything's gonna be ok. If you speed just a fraction over the stated speed limit and you're a child killer.

Interesting statistics, hit by a car at 40mph, 80% chance you'll die, 30mph, 80% chance you'll live, so to be absolutely safe we must all go at 0mph so the chance of death is 0%. Oh you want to move? are you saying the 20% that you're gona kill is not worth living?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68098

At least you guys have it slightly better in Europe, try driving in Australia and in a Porsche on a motorway! eople try and block you overtaking when they see you driving a decent looking sportscar.

Being a cyclist as well makes for even "hairier" moments as drivers in Oz don't seem to be able to cope with that either!

Peter-John Michael

Sydney, Australia

'98 996 C2

'57 Jaguar Mk1 2.4L

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68143

This is so annoying - two facts:

95% of accidents that cause injury occur at junctions and intersections, and less than 5% occur on highways.

99% of the population would drive at the speed they feel SAFE at.

The message is that you could remove the speed limit entiirely on highways and there would be a negligible effect on the death toll in the UK.

Bear in mind that cigarettes kill more people each week than cars do in a year.

Damn we have a bunch of total 'PC' idiots running this place!!

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68150

THere was a recent experiment in the states, and to a less extent here too. They removed all the speed signs and traffic measures and stopped enforcing speed limits, and surprise surprise, the accident rate, road rage rate went down, the incidence of seat belt wearing and happiness went up.

Then some PC numpties got into power and reversed all the changes and got draconian, all the rates reversed their direction and got worse than they had been before.

The UK version removed traffic lights and road markings etc, and the same thing happened.

Drivers had to start think for themselves and actually paying attention to what was happening on the road, rather than sitting in a comfort zone of being below the speed limit and cameras/authorities will take care of everything so why bother watching where your are going.

But the do-gooders just can't get their heads around it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68154

Unfortunately the PC numpties and do-gooders make lots of noise with with their big mouth as they don't have anything else better to do, whereas the rest of us have a life and barely have time to rant a bit on the net.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68155

Odd thing happened last night too... overtook a row of cars in my Targa on a short stretch of dual carriageway. Tucked in behind a Mondeo as the two lanes became one, the guy in the Mundano thought I was tailgating him and stands on the brakes, making signs in the mirror...

Lucky 911s have good brakes!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68403

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrmward27
Back