Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

am i crazy?

siwilcox

Hi all

So i was driving past the Nissan garage the other day and decided to pop in for a look...

Am i crazy to consider swapping my 56 997 for a brand new 370z? I am just thinking that 3 years hassle free motoring versus potential thousands in bills as my 997 gets older. Its only done 33,000 miles but i do not have the Porsche warranty...

I don't think the performance of the two cars will be all that different, and the Nissan will have more gadgets than my 997, so its a badge issue i think...

Would like to hear people thoughts and if anyone else has ever swapped their 997 for a lower market car

Cheers

I wouldn't have ever considered swapping my old boxster s for a brand new Nissan 370z, let alone a 997!

They are poles apart in terms of driveability, build quality, reliability and prestige.

Possibly most importantly a 370z is not a 911.

They are all plastic. All power and no substance.

A very very poor comparison to what is the culmination of years of motorsport evolution - the 911.

Are you crazy?

Yes.

:eek:

You are certifiable.

I looked at them when buying my previous car (Z4M) and they aren't even in the same league as that, let alone a 997

You may get a more sympathetic response to your question on a 370z forum.

What about trading up to a newer 997 that has some warranty?

pzero said:
You may get a more sympathetic response to your question on a 370z forum.
I doubt it, most of them would swap into a 911 in a heartbeat

pzero said:
What about trading up to a newer 997 that has some warranty?

100% this

Get a DFI engined 997 with 2 years warranty, whatever that costs over the cost to change to a 370Z is worth it IMO.

There's something magical about the 911.

Not many cars have it, certainly not the Nissan.

But then sometimes its good to have a change, and you can only miss something when its not there!

Get in a 370Z for a few minutes. Once you've finished laughing at the appalling interior, start the engine and blip the throttle. That noise is the only good thing about the car.

Nose-heavy, sluggish, with an interior that looks and feels like it was put together by a five-year old.

Don't do it.

Ouch...sounds as though the 370Z has got a fair bit of kicking. If I didn't have a 997, I would consider a 370Z - amazing looks and fantastic reliability. I wouldn't buy brand-new though because residuals are pretty shocking (a bit like a 997!).

However, it's what floats your boat. Last year there was a forum member on here who decided his 996 wasn't that much to drive and so went back to sporting Vauxhalls.....

~ Maxie :roll:

Like most of the above posts, I too would agree that the transition from a 997 to a 370z is not a smart move. The German engineering and quality will always outweigh the Japanese when it comes to cars. Always.

Do not let the fear of the possibility of something going wrong, force you into something you don't ultimately want. The 997 with 33k on the clock is perfectly fine! The risk of it going pop does exist, as it does for any car. Either buy a Gen 2, or take out a warranty on your existing car.

It's all in the mind. I'd say you should stick with what you've got, don't over think it, and just enjoy it.

I suggest to get a truly balanced opinion you also register on a Nissan forum and ask the same question. A guy at work is considering buying one at the moment so it is interesting to read the thoughts about them.

MC

Maxie said:
However, it's what floats your boat. Last year there was a forum member on here who decided his 996 wasn't that much to drive and so went back to sporting Vauxhalls.....

How could we forget Partyvan?

pzero said:
Maxie said:

How could we forget Partyvan?

That's him!!

~ Maxie :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dicreamio
Back