Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Always Respect The GT2 (Especially At Flugplatz!)

Martian

:D

... didn't see the link, just clicked to watch the video

Now I will make bullet-points of my main thoughts, in no particular order:

Both driver and passenger escaped with their lives. Both have bumps on the head, the passenger has a broken arm. This is a great outcome, it could have been much worse. On Sunday one biker wasn't so lucky.
Prompt action from other participants helped save the passenger's life (his airway was constricted as the roof had collapsed).
Professional response from the experienced Rettungsdienst followed very quickly. These guys are so experienced, they deal with crap like this every week. We're lucky to have them here.
I do NOT believe in sweeping accidents like these under the carpet. We should see the broken metal, listen to the sirens and think about how we drive the track on our next lap.
If you have a 600bhp car without a full roll cage, without racing tyres and without flag marshalls on every corner, then don't attack the track like you're going to set a new lap record. Because you're not.
And certainly don't do that with a passenger in the car.
Drivers; Know your limits. The BEST place to push the limits is on specific training events and race meetings where every participant accepts this risk. I understand when a 20-year-old on €10k a year pushes too hard in touristenfahrten. It's the best he can afford. But if you have enough money to crash Ferraris, rebuild them, and nearly crash them again, then why not just go racing? Don't try to be a big fish in a little pond. The people you're impressing are only yourself and those who don't know any better.
Passengers; PLEASE don't jump into fast cars without understanding the possibilities of what can happen next. Just because people can afford to buy fast cars doesn't automatically make them capable of driving them. There are many tales of woe and catastrophe that start with people jumping into supercars and end with brain-dead passengers lying in a hospital bed.

We should all take a look at what happens when we f*ck up, because it will make us all better, safer drivers. See, told you I was a hypocritical mess, didn't I! :)

Colin was going very quickly in a 458 challenge at DN8, he had a crash last year, September l think.

He's been chasing times IMO. Eventually it bites you hard in the arse.

I don't know if he races, but if not then its probably a safer environment for his approach to track driving.

I hope that both Colin and his passenger make a full recovery.

another nail in future of 'ring

OMG that's an impact !

Martian said:
Chasing times on a TF day is madness, Colin should've known better! Glad both are OK but sorry, Colin is a fool to even consider timing on a public day.

100% agree with Martian

Glad to hear they are alive, another testimony to modern safety cells

.....a dreadful experience for anyone in any car to go through.

Any fast car deserves respect not just a GT2. People have been injured at the ring doing 30mph in a car. I have no doubt that the structure of the GT2 helped to minimise the risk of a fatality......but they were extremely lucky to escape without a very serious/life changing injury.

I will just jump on my little soap box. Firstly anyone that has been driving for a few years knows the risks of going on track (morons and the young aside). Some do it for the danger and some despite. As for "life changing injuries", I do not know why this has crept into the world of accident jargon. Instead of just saying he is crippled or no longer able to feed himself/seriously injured, he has had a 'life changing injury'. As far as I am concerned every injury is life changing after all if you do not learn from your mistakes (causing the injury) what is the point :dont know: . What is the dividing line between a LCI and one that is not.

Just shows speed does not always kill.

So did he bump his head despite wearing a helmet or because he was not wearing helmet.

Finally when it comes to chasing times it may well be madness but some climb Everest and others chase ring times. As long as Colin is alright and nobody else is hurt surely that is the main thing.

I wonder how many laps the driver had done before. He probably just forgot where he was on the track.

As nobody died hopefully it will not be another nail in the 'Save the Ring' coffin.

Well enough waffle and piffle. :roll:

Pip

Does anyone have any more information about what exactly happened? Did he get airborne and then fall off the track when he landed?

maximtaylor said:
Colin was going very quickly in a 458 challenge at DN8, he had a crash last year, September l think.

The same 458 Challenge that tore the wing mirror off of (and left some red paint on) an Exige at DN8 while overtaking on a bend :?:

BillTheButcher said:
Does anyone have any more information about what exactly happened? Did he get airborne and then fall off the track when he landed?

No information, but if I may speculate (this being the internet) I think he flew too much air over the crest and the car didn't settle in time to brake with enough conviction for the right hander. Road suspension has lots of drop compared to a racing car and if too fast over the crest it feels like an age before the car is correctly planted to brake (even with an appreciably less powerful GT3 it is a bit scary there if you don't lose a bit of speed before the crest).

Disco said:
No information, but if I may speculate (this being the internet) I think he flew too much air over the crest and the car didn't settle in time to brake with enough conviction for the right hander. Road suspension has lots of drop compared to a racing car and if too fast over the crest it feels like an age before the car is correctly planted to brake (even with an appreciably less powerful GT3 it is a bit scary there if you don't lose a bit of speed before the crest).
It's hard to tell from the clip - because of how far ahead of the camera car he is when he hits the crest - but it did look like the car took off and I didn't see any brake lights. :eek:

Didn't he just go straight..ie straight left into the barrier ? he appeared to be
about as far left as he could go before turning in...maybe a wheel on the grass ? :roll:

nick w said:
Didn't he just go straight..ie straight left into the barrier ? he appeared to be
about as far left as he could go before turning in...maybe a wheel on the grass ? :roll:

I agree with Nick W and think that he forgot where he was on track, came out of Hocheichen/Quiddelbacher-Hohe and saw the track going right and was too fast to turn in or brake. Either he was tired or he has not done too many laps previously.

Pip

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7CUU
Back