Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Alternator whine

DJ911

Silverstone
I've suddenly developed an alternator whine which means I have to keep my stereo (original head unit and amp) off to avoid broadcasting my engine noises! 2004 996 C4S.

The only recent changes of note are:

1. Had car restored recently including removing front quarter wings, cutting out rust and welding in replacements etc.
2. Had my alternator refurbished recently and installed it myself.

I've been looking into the problem a little including the possibility of a ground loop isolator (as a quick fix) but I'm not great with wiring/electrics.

I've been in touch with a car electrical expert who thinks the alternator is a possible culprit and wants to test it. It otherwise works perfectly.

Any thoughts gladly received. It doesn't look like an easy fix and i don't want to spend loads on diagnostics.

Dave

My 996.2 with Bose also whines when stereo on however my source fault is the Mr.Bluetooth module. Not an issue for me as I don't listen to music in the car but annoying when using Google maps!

I suspect I need/you need a ground loop but I don't know what to buy or where to fit and use the car so infrequently that I have not bothered to investigate so I am taking an interest in this thread bud...

Hi, I have the same Bluetooth module too but I never used to get the whine and I also tried removing it to no avail.

On the one hand, I'd like to be able to leave my PCM on, as I also have a SIM card and stream from my Spotify. On the other, there could be several hours of diagnostics needed to find the source of the noise which probably isn't worth it?!

My money's on a poor/missing ground secondary to bodywork?

Hopefully someone will provide us both with a solution!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vrover_993
Back