Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Allen bolts; 993 Targa wheels

Robertb

Yas Marina
Does anyone know what colour the split-rim allen bolts are supposed to be on the 17in Targa wheels?

Looking at mine I am guessing dark gunmetal grey.

I am planning to repaint mine using a trusty modelling brush and some hammerite or somesuch...

Can't look much worse than the current rusty objects.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45591

Black

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45592

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by ian_uk on 13 February 2006

Black
that's a relief as a while back I had a look at doing what Robert has mentioned and based on the remaining bolts that don't seemed to have rusted they all looked grey or sorts, but even that was a bit patchy...

but decided that black was the better colour to paint... but haven't propertly started yet !!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45594

Targa_ow.jpg

Here's a picture off the Wheel Enhancement site.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45599

Cheers- bought myself some black Hammerite last night- the other half's having a girls' nite out next week so an ideal opportunity to put the wheels on the kitchen table and paint the 96 bolts!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45653

Thats a lot of fine rubbing down to clean and get a key on each bolt :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45751

I am too idle for that- I am counting on the "paints straight onto rust" promise on the Hammerite tin... :lol:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45768

:) :) :)

Robert,

You have to learn how to post a picture because I would be interested to see the end result. When I had my wheels refurbished told them to paint them silver, but might change back!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45851

Robert, you could always PM Peter Topping, after all he is the Uberauthority on all things wheel.

Peter, do I get a commission for bigging you up? :p

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45865

Done one wheel so far... doing only one per session for the sake of my mental health!

Looks surprisingly good- the Hammerite is quite treacley but all the brush marks disappear. Even the rusty/pitted bolts look much improved.

Quite fiddly though, and masking is impractical so you need a steady hand with the brush and lots of patience. And some thinners for when it goes wrong...

I will take some before n' after pics of the next wheel, now I have broadband maybe posting pics will work.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45932

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xx22
Back