Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Alarm Double beep....***help please***

32-BOY

So i have 2000...996

It has developed a strange issue, basically it locks and unlocks but every few locks and unlocks when i go to lock it it will lock and unlock and beep twice, or if its already locked i will press the key fob button and it will unlock and lock an beep twice.

The only way to over ride this is to use the key.

Now i have scouted the internet and found that usually the main culprit is the centre little under ram lockable compartment sensor.

Is there any way of diagnosing it without plugging it in?

Also is there anywhere on-inline that supplies the centre lock sensor as im struggling to find it.

Any help would be much appreciated as its veryyyy annoying.

Thanks J

Nope.

If the centre console is locked and the frunk and engine bay lid properly closed, the usual culprit is the door lock mechanisms.

I did both on mine. They were fairly cheap at the time and a 9 pin unit from an early Audi TT.

There's a sensor in each which tells it the door is shut. The plastic wheel/cam the sensor is pressed by wears and the tip on the microswitch was well worn down on both sides on my 98 C2 with 120K.

Not a difficult job, say and hour each side and my replacements were under £30 each.

The annoying thing is, I've recently developed another single beep error.
At least i now have a Chinese clone PIWIS II tester to help. :thumb:

YPVS said:

How well does it work as opposed to a durametric? cost?

I have an issue that means, the only way I can lock the car and not risk the alarm going off whenever it likes, is to double lock so turning off the interior sensor.

This workaround then stopped working and it turned out to be the driver's side door lock. Replaced it and I'm back to locking with a double tap.

Alarm gremlins are a right ar$e.

omigod said:
YPVS said:

Early days yet and way down my list of jobs to look at.

I've got to sort out the air suspension in my Cayenne Turbo first.

It's useful for being able to actually trigger certain functions to troubleshoot a fault, but some of the fault codes are a bit vague.

Certainly a lot more featured than my clone early Durametric cable and software.

Worked out at about £320 and is a perfect clone. OBD2.market

It would take me 10 mins with a tester to diagnose this ..

It Should take any garage 10 mins with a tester to diagnose this ..

Single beep means something is open when locking .. center console lid for example .. Radio contact etc etc

Double beep means there is a fault in the system .

This is pretty much the drivers door lock .. if the drivers door lock is open it can't lock the car .. several micro switches inside and the one that says drivers door open had probably failed ... there are others .. outer or inner door handle switches stuck open .. car should lock but double beep .

Get a garage to stick a tester on the car to confirm .. don't throw parts at this please as its a simple fault to diagnose with a tester .

YPVS said:
omigod said:
YPVS said:

It's useful for being able to actually trigger certain functions to troubleshoot a fault, but some of the fault codes are a bit vague.

Certainly a lot more featured than my clone early Durametric cable and software.

Do a vehicle scan of all control units .. find a fault code then select guided fault finding .. it's an absolute pain to navigate but you will normally get a test plan to fault find .

I have the Piwis operating manual if you need it .. pm email as usual .

deMort said:
YPVS said:
omigod said:
YPVS said:

Do a vehicle scan of all control units .. find a fault code then select guided fault finding .. it's an absolute pain to navigate but you will normally get a test plan to fault find .

I have the Piwis operating manual if you need it .. pm email as usual .

Ah, thanks. It does offer to do a full scan the first time I go into Fault Finding, which I have not done on either car yet. I've only had a quick play so far, but will give that a shot when I have a bit more time.

I've sort of found my way around it, like I did with the previous BMW, JLR and VAG software I got hold of. I'd be lost without it as I tend to buy cars of the spec I want, with solid mechanicals, but lots of niggles to sort.

My Cayenne Turbo (368KW Powerkit) and 996 C2 cabrio manual came in at under £15K between them, so have been keeping me busy whilst the pubs were shut. :lol:

Thanks So i had a look and found this....i guess that's the one that fails?

Attachments

• screenshot_from_2021_05_05_17_36_07_166.png
    screenshot_from_2021_05_05_17_36_07_166.png
    187.7 KB · Views: 1,628
No. That's the door handle switch.

Does the window drop 10mm when you operate the exterior handle and interior handle? There is a sensor for each.

The one in the locking mechanism is built in and not sold separately. It was these causing the alarm double beep and immediate unlock on mine.

YPVS said:

Does the window drop 10mm when you operate the exterior handle and interior handle? There is a sensor for each.

The one in the locking mechanism is built in and not sold separately. It was these causing the alarm double beep and immediate unlock on mine.

Any chance of showing me the correct part, as I'm struggling to find it.

:?

32-BOY said:
YPVS said:

Any chance of showing me the correct part, as I'm struggling to find it.

:?

It's a door lock assembly. Which part are you struggling to find? I'm confused.

This is the sort of thing I bought for my 98 C2 Cabrio drivers door.
The early ones shared a part with the early Audi TT. You might need to cross reference the part numbers for a non Cabrio to see if they're the same as the cabrio.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15343885...del:TT&hash=item23b9ab1d81:g:ppgAAOSw0MpfP-rJ

The red and blue wires in the bottom right of the photo are to a sensor which tells the alarm the door is open or closed. It's this which wears and breaks, but is part of the unit, not a separate part.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NBavers
Back