Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aircon regas in shock working horror!

matt_j

Hey all,

Bought my car with no air on working, the seller said don't worry it will just be a regas (at 50k miles I thought no chance i will need some condensers)! Well whaddya know.....

Popped down my local garage today to MOT the bike and they said they would regas the air on on the 996 turbo for 30 quid and fault find anything along the way....so it's done and I finally have icy cold air coming from the vents! No new condensers and no horrendous costs! Hurray!

Now to sort the BLOODY short that seem to be in place under the driver seat, 8 fuses I've been through on fault finding and I till haven't found it :-(

Don't hold your breath. If its still working after a week you should be OK. Sometimes a regas won't always identify a leak despite the vacuum test being good.
:hand:

Great stuff :thumb:

I did exactly the same when I bought my Boxster. It held its charge for approximately 4 days and then ran out.

Minor leaks cannot be found easily and will only become apparent by having the a/c running for a few days.

Hopefully you have been lucky but keep an eye on the a/c pipe joints under the drivers door sill and the condenser joints. If you get an oily looking patch appearing then you may still need to get the allen keys out.

:bandit:

This is exactly what I had on my Range Rover recently. Vacuum test all OK, system re-gassed, it worked fine for a week during which we did about 1000 miles, the car then sat for a fortnight and we are back to square one. Time to get the UV torch out and see if I can spot any of the UV tracer anywhere.

MC

Lol same with mine, regassed = ice cold ..... For a few days then nothing. Turned out to need new condenser and evaporator (under warranty) despite flying through pressure tests.

Good luck and fingers crossed :wink:

Could you see that the evaporater was leaking? I would have thought that usually it is the condensers which fail as they are so exposed. I'm really hoping that is what on mine as they are much easiet/cheaper to fix.

MC

ragpicker said:
Damn you Zingari, beating me to the post by 1 minute!

:boxer:

:loser:

:thumb:

Whilst singing the praises that I've got the AC in my 964 working all is not well :nooo:

MisterCorn said:
Could you see that the evaporater was leaking? I would have thought that usually it is the condensers which fail as they are so exposed. I'm really hoping that is what on mine as they are much easiet/cheaper to fix.

MC

It's a 993. I posted as an example of a system previously showing no signs of working working, after regass does not mean its not leaking.

But yes we knew it was the evaporator as I was getting green fluid bubbling from the passenger air vent. Problem was after evaporator was replaced (big job on a 993) the system still leaked from a secondary condenser leak. I saw both after removal. Evaporator had been punctured (god knows how) and condenser crumbled but even then system would work perfectly for a few days after a regas.

Just got back and seen all this...hahahaha :D

I'll bet the voices of experience are right, this was too easy a fix for my luck! Let me update you with progress but dammit I'm going to enjoy my cold blasts of air and rock hard nipples for the few days I have them :D

Air con

Hi all newbie to forum thought I could join you guys !!!!

With regards to your a/c I hope for you it doesn't leak , but if it does have it pressure tested with ofn
Only to 200/250 psi this should identify where there are any leaks

Repair fault or replace parts then vacc and recharge !!!!

As previous condensers very weak spot but very easy to replace and not to costly !!!
I have replaced quite a few

Good luck :thumb: [/img]

Slippery - Thanks for chiming in. Great tip never occurred to me :roll:

Re: Air con

Slippery said:
Hi all newbie to forum thought I could join you guys !!!!

With regards to your a/c I hope for you it doesn't leak , but if it does have it pressure tested with ofn
Only to 200/250 psi this should identify where there are any leaks

Repair fault or replace parts then vacc and recharge !!!!

As previous condensers very weak spot but very easy to replace and not to costly !!!
I have replaced quite a few

Good luck :thumb: [/img]

Thanks buddy and welcome, just for my knowledge what's off exactly?

Air con

Hi matt

Glad to be on forum

Ofn is oxygen free nitrogen

It's what we pressure test all refrigeration systems with oxygen free means no moisture - moisture in any system is not good news that's one of the reasons for the filter drier on the system.

You can also use helium based nitrogen which has smaller particles finds smaller leaks.

I have mine to do as soon as I pick up the condensers, anyone based in Essex or close by I'm willing to help if poss...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markt13
Back