Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice please

rascasse

Hi All!

Loving the forum, been searching loads of threads and have just joined. I'm buying a new car to me in August and have decided on two choices. A gt86 or 2.7 Cayman. My budget is around 19 - 20K so that would get me a demo 86 and 08-09 cayman.

Now i've driven the 86 and thought it was fantastic, real drivers car but haven't driven a cayman. I know, I know, it's a bit silly asking opinions when i haven't tested a cayman yet. Just wanted to get peoples opinions on those choices. I've joined gt86ownersclub and surprised people on there are chopping in caymans for one!

Perhaps someone has tried an 86 and could give a comparison against there cayman?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Porsche News said:
stretch to a 3.4 Cayman, the difference will leave the GT86 in the dust

Can't stretch to an s without being old and leggy and i'm not really into straight line speed. The question i'm trying to ask i guess is as the cayman is mid engined. Is the handling compared to an 86 on another level? The stats show that the cayman has a higher cog, weighs 110kg more (quite a bit) than an 86. So i would of thought imo its not as clear cut to which is the better handler??

I`ve not driven an 86 but have sat in one and that was enough for me. Looks like the parts bin from Halfords. That said , if you can live with that there are a few companies that do some nice tuning parts for them to spice things up.

Best thing to do is get a drive in both before you part with your cash or save up the extra wonga and get the 3.4 cayman as suggested. That would make the choice simple.

GT3GT3 said:
I`ve not driven an 86 but have sat in one and that was enough for me. Looks like the parts bin from Halfords. That said , if you can live with that there are a few companies that do some nice tuning parts for them to spice things up.

Best thing to do is get a drive in both before you part with your cash or save up the extra wonga and get the 3.4 cayman as suggested. That would make the choice simple.

What did you expect for 25K lol. Ok it feels a little low rent, but the driving position is lower than a cayman looks maybe more sporty inside. Still i'm going to test drive a cayman in the next few weeks and might be wowed by the porker :p

I've seriously considered and driven the GT86 just before the Cayman, and difference is night and day to be honest. GT86 is a wonderful car, with 250 or so HP would be amazing, but the build quality of the Porker was alone enough to sway me over. And keep in mind I bought a 2007 £22k Cayman S with 46k miles on the clock. Cayman feels incredibly planted, you can accelerate out of a corner with full confidence, whereas GT86 is a very tail happy car - on purpose of course. They're completely different handling cars, but the GT86 was lacking in performance. YOu could turbo/supercharge it of course, but to what cost.. And don't forget the pussy magnet features of Porkers ;)

I would say, go drive a Cayman, for 25k (and to be honest, you have to spend a bit more on a GT86 unless you're ok with barebones) you can get a lot of 2.7. Maybe even 2.9 if you look hard enough.

Yes there's the engine issues in Gen1 caymans, and GT86 comes with 5 year warranty. That's important to consider, too. I chose to buy from a independent with a 1 year warranty, but obviously I am putting away some money in case of a bang to have a piece of mind.

cvega said:
I've seriously considered and driven the GT86 just before the Cayman, and difference is night and day to be honest. GT86 is a wonderful car, with 250 or so HP would be amazing, but the build quality of the Porker was alone enough to sway me over. And keep in mind I bought a 2007 £22k Cayman S with 46k miles on the clock. Cayman feels incredibly planted, you can accelerate out of a corner with full confidence, whereas GT86 is a very tail happy car - on purpose of course. They're completely different handling cars, but the GT86 was lacking in performance. YOu could turbo/supercharge it of course, but to what cost.. And don't forget the pussy magnet features of Porkers ;)

I would say, go drive a Cayman, for 25k (and to be honest, you have to spend a bit more on a GT86 unless you're ok with barebones) you can get a lot of 2.7. Maybe even 2.9 if you look hard enough.

Yes there's the engine issues in Gen1 caymans, and GT86 comes with 5 year warranty. That's important to consider, too. I chose to buy from a independent with a 1 year warranty, but obviously I am putting away some money in case of a bang to have a piece of mind.

Thanks for a great post!! Yeah i guess they are different cars at the end of the day. I'm going to test a cayman in around a weeks time so will be good to compare them :thumbs:

cheers, let us know how you get on ;)

Cayman S

Drive it then go and drive the Datsun,

no contest

Summed up very well by Moriarity in the closing lines of Kelly's heroes

Cheshire cat said:

Right (for a programmer!)

Datsun != Toyota

is the same as

Datsun <> Toyota

is the same as

Datsun