Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Accidently topped up coolant with tap water

MrWidebody

What a stupid mistake! I've just accidently topped up my 991 coolant with tap water. About 0.2 of a gallon added (say 1 litre). The coolant capacity is 6 gallons. Our tap water quality is very good. Should I get the system flushed? Many thanks.

Thanks for the replies. Is that due to the comparatively small quantity of tap water I added? What about all the stories on line about water pollutants?

Also, if it is slightly overfilled, with the overflow allow any excess water to be leaked out?

Thanks

The amount you have added will make virtually no difference at all. You would be surprised how many garages use simple tap water in coolant systems anyway. Mineral water is s big no no. You however, need not worry.

Just out of curiosity why did it need topping up?

I'll be honest: I have just got the car recently, I was distracted by the kids, saw the filler cap and assumed it was for the windscreen washer reservoir. My car has the optional rear wiper and in a split second I incorrectly made the top up. I know, mega stupid.

MrWidebody said:
I'll be honest: I have just got the car recently, I was distracted by the kids, saw the filler cap and assumed it was for the windscreen washer reservoir. My car has the optional rear wiper and in a split second I incorrectly made the top up. I know, mega stupid.

I wouldn't worry mate. Mistakes are easy to make. All I would do is get a syringe or something similar and remove some water putting the level on the correct mark when it's cold. I wouldn't leave it over filled. Should be s piece of cake to correct your error.

Thank you very much. I feel like such a prick! I'll go check the level and syringe if a little too high. Cheers pal.

No worries mate.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steviepee
Back