Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

About time I cleaned up those seats of mine...

deutschland-dobson

Indianapolis
About 4 years ago I refurbed the sports seats on my 64 using a kit from furniture clinic. It was a bit of a rush job TBH with seats left in the car and the dye sponged on. Still, it looked not too bad until recently.

I was quoted £600 to have the seats professionally dyed, so being a cheapskate I decided to buy the dye and start again...

First step is to get the seats out the car and mask up the red beading. Took about 2.5 hours in all!:

image_zpsa6b0508c.jpg

Photo of how bad the seats were in some areas:

image_zps3a196855.jpg

With the seats masked-up the original hard wearing coating is removed with a prep solution. An alcohol cleaner is then used to lift any old dye. This took about 2.5 hours again:

image_zpsba074408.jpg

Dye is then applied with a sponge, two coats, taking time to get into a
all the nooks. Following this a smart repair gun is used to build up the dye. Mr Dobson Snr at the controls! At 34 I'm still the apprentice!:

image_zps2b3ffc85.jpg

With the colour on a hard wearing gloss coat is applied by gun:

image_zps3d6852f9.jpg

Finally, the gloss is toned down with a mix of matt and satin lacquer. About 3 hours of gun work in total:

image_zps01264bbb.jpg

Seats un-masked

image_zpsbed0e1b6.jpg

Fitted:

image_zpsb346087e.jpg

image_zpsc07ca1a9.jpg

Dads done a great job :thumb:
Seriously, nice work and worth the effort as the end result looks great from the pics.

A lot of graft there Chris for a great result , i will have a closer inspection tomorrow :thumb:

Dozzer said:
Dads done a great job :thumb:
Seriously, nice work and worth the effort as the end result looks great from the pics.

I did manage to pinch the gun for a little while, honest ;)

kp964 said:
A lot of graft there Chris for a great result , i will have a closer inspection tomorrow :thumb:

Will do bud just wash your hands first :puh:

Great job mate :thumb: they look the dogs, how much are the kits now? I think I paid £75 for mine but that was a few years ago

Ian

A M A Z I N G results! Any idea how I can get sun-cream out of my black leather seats?!

Hi

Very nice work. I am going to do this at some point in the future......

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Berni

igaffz said:
Great job mate :thumb: they look the dogs, how much are the kits now? I think I paid £75 for mine but that was a few years ago

Ian

Got to be about that bud. I bought 500ml of dye, 250ml of prep and cleaner for £50 to top up the stuff I already had :)

Chris

programtrader said:
A M A Z I N G results! Any idea how I can get sun-cream out of my black leather seats?!

Dr Leather wipes or spray. The best stuff out there :)

Chris

Had a good look at them in the flesh today, excellent work Chris and good to meet you and the rest of the guys :thumb:
Des

Good to meet you too Des :)

Was a cracking day out.

Chris

Enjoyed that today, good to meet you guys and put faces to the names :thumb:
Rob

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsl997