Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A couple of detailing points

5UG

I've been doing some tidying up on my 996 convertible - some rust spots have been sorted and the wheels refurbed.

I would like to pick brains about a couple of items:

1) wheel caps - where can I source new ones without paying a fortune to my local dealer?
2) convertible roof white flecks - I can't remove them despite using an Autoglym cleaning kit.

I've attached a couple of photos.

Thanks for any advice.

Alan

Attachments

• 67693733_abd8_4290_b701_e9e3715954ef_973.jpeg
    67693733_abd8_4290_b701_e9e3715954ef_973.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,501
This is a photo of the roof flecks

Attachments

• 371fa6a9_d9cd_444a_a044_b81e0fd6b871_174.jpeg
    371fa6a9_d9cd_444a_a044_b81e0fd6b871_174.jpeg
    360.9 KB · Views: 1,500
Thanks mattomg.
I'll have to find someone with a baby then!

Looks like the centre caps are sorted, but the spots on the roof, could be stained to the point it won't come out, and to much rubbing will see the fibres start to weaken and you will have what looks like a worn patch if you are not careful.

I have used a sharpie pen to carefully touch up similar spots, just get the right colour! trick here is to dot it and use you finger to smear and blend it quickly. It won't smear far as it dries almost instantly :thumb:

Sounds radical, but it works :thumb:

Thanks Boba - radical, but could be the only way I suppose

5UG said:
Thanks Boba - radical, but could be the only way I suppose

No worries You can also cut the nib down so you can get a more pin like contact point. Same as touching up stone chips with touch up pens, most use the brush it comes with, and you just get a messy blob, but if you use a tiny artist brush, you can get great results. :thumb:

In the hood pic, it looks like debris in the fabric weave to me. I'd wet it with water / mild shampoo and use a toothbrush along the weave, trying to flick upwards rather than pressing down IYSWIM.

Regarding the roof, I also agree it looks like debris stuck in the fabric. Soft brush and some water / gentle cleaner may sort that out, its worth a try.

DonkUK said:
Regarding the roof, I also agree it looks like debris stuck in the fabric. Soft brush and some water / gentle cleaner may sort that out, its worth a try.

You could also try a steam cleaner, which should help breakdown the mould / debris. I've used this technique on leather and works really well. Heat is the trick, so maybe even try laying a small microfiber cloth on the area and soaking with just-off boiling water from the kettle. Leave for a minute to penetrate and then agitate with a brush.

Good luck! :thumb:

Algae leaves marks like that and is an absolute bitch to shift, I tried Autoglym, Renovo and all sorts of home made cleaning solutions including caravan awning cleaner Miltons fluid but nothing would completely shift it.
Re-dyed the whole hood in the end, came up very well.

Like Bob described above - I used a black Sharpie (on my admittedly black roof) with excellent results.
Build up a series of dots, nice and slowly - works a treat.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steviepee
Back