Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 GTS

owlscastle

Serioulsy thinking about buying a 997 2WD GTS I have seen, with a PDK box.

Anyone got any good or bad views of the PDK ? Never tried one as alaways had a manual.

Anyone have any likes or dislikes etc for the GTS in Black ?

Thanks

Ritchie

I would try it before paying to live with it.

It is brilliant, but you need to know if it's going to be a good long term relationship for YOU.

I adore my car with the PDK, and it is utterly brilliant, but I can appreciate it's not for everyone so deffo try before you buy. And try with paddles too, not just the daft buttons.

PDK

I have a competition car with a proper paddle shift sequential box that is great, hence why I dont think it will be a problem.

PDK is awesome! Not to everyone's taste, but I would suggest that a lot of those with a negative preconception would soon change their mind if they had the opportunity to properly try it out. I'd also recommend paddles over buttons given the choice... :thumbs:

I guess I'm in the minority; I prefer the manual over the PDK. I tried one for a day and couldn't gel with it - felt like some of the control had been taken away. To be fair though, the car I sampled didn't have the flappy paddles so perhaps that could have made a difference.

~ Maxie

owlscastle said:

Not a GTS in black per se but I personally don't like the centre-lock wheels and on some versions the plasticky dashboard (where the full leather & stitching wasn't specced from new).

~ Maxie

Although full leather dash (and leather rear seats, rather than MaccyD vinyl) were cost options, 5-Stud Carrera Sport alloys were a no cost option, and I wouldn't touch a GTS without either of those two boxes ticked (oh, and "4").

As for PDK, brilliant technology (although reports of some early fragilities), but I couldn't live with one though :thumb:

GT4 said:
Although full leather dash (and leather rear seats, rather than MaccyD vinyl) were cost options, 5-Stud Carrera Sport alloys were a no cost option, and I wouldn't touch a GTS without either of those two boxes ticked (oh, and "4").

As for PDK, brilliant technology (although reports of some early fragilities), but I couldn't live with one though :thumb:

PDK and Spyder's all the way baby... :p*

*though I do concede the full leather interior is a must...

Diff'rent strokes indeed.

But I'll take my strokes the old fashioned way, firmly in hand, not some flappy paddle flickling.

I merely stated my views (as requested, but originally dodged and demurred to keep the peace).

However, there then proceeded to be some confusion, and I didn't want Maxie thinking I paddled for the other side :oops:

PS - Whilst I'm in this corner painting, I also dislike Carrera Sport wheels, but thank goodness they can be swapped with any number of OEM or third-party rims of some discernment.

:grin:

I could have painted myself into the opposite corner if this CL recall comes back to bite me... :sad:

Interesting point, does the CL recall effect the Turbo S and GTS cars too?

Not as far as I know (or at least not yet), but this forum wouldn't be the same without a bit of paranoid speculation...

Porsche will probably just do a 996 PCCB on it and certify them as not track ready for warranty purposes.

Then if you break them they will accuse you of using the car as if on track and hence not covered.

Because of the nature of the car, a GT3 would not be fit for purpose without track abilities, hence recall.

owlscastle said:
Serioulsy thinking about buying a 997 2WD GTS I have seen, with a PDK box.

Anyone got any good or bad views of the PDK ? Never tried one as alaways had a manual.

Thanks

Ritchie

PDK v manual, arguments are well documented and as has been said, try before you by.
GTS absolutely, but not in black.

FWIW mine was specced with alcantara, sports seats, leather dash and it's a manual.

Slightly off topic, I've yet to try but have heard that with the 991 the way to go would be the PDK route rather manual.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnvt
Back