Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 GT3 Build Threads

PhilMorrison

Well-known member
Joined
30 Apr 2013
Messages
161
I love having a mooch over what other people are doing with their cars. Does this forum have build threads? Or do I need to be looking at other forums? If so can anyone suggest anywhere? :).
 
Rennlist, 997GT3 forum, fill your boots...

A lot of money being spent over there...

:thumb:
 
Agree with Stuart those guys are crazy, most over here keep them fairly stock.

This is the first car I've not modified or really feel the need to, however this is probably because it's the first car I've bought that comes with warranty :D

How you getting on with yours, did you go to CofG for geometry?
 
C2VNY said:
Agree with Stuart those guys are crazy, most over here keep them fairly stock.

This is the first car I've not modified or really feel the need to, however this is probably because it's the first car I've bought that comes with warranty :D

How you getting on with yours, did you go to CofG for geometry?

Actually I can't think of too many of us who are still on stock brakes...
....and some of us certainly wish that we weren't using stock center locks..
:roll:
 
PhilMorrison said:
I love having a mooch over what other people are doing with their cars. Does this forum have build threads? Or do I need to be looking at other forums? If so can anyone suggest anywhere? :).

There are actually enough threads on GT3 Mod and projects within THIS SITE 8)

A major example being
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=69769

the Search function
http://911uk.com/search.php

will help you find something you are after

:D
 
nick w said:
C2VNY said:
Agree with Stuart those guys are crazy, most over here keep them fairly stock.

This is the first car I've not modified or really feel the need to, however this is probably because it's the first car I've bought that comes with warranty :D

How you getting on with yours, did you go to CofG for geometry?

Actually I can't think of too many of us who are still on stock brakes...
....and some of us certainly wish that we weren't using stock center locks..
:roll:

:D I wish I wasn't on center locks..

That's true about the disc and pads, I didn't really think about them because it's a pretty small change but your right most have changed those.
 
Thanks for the info guys.

The 5 stud conversion is something I will seriously look at doing once the warranty ends in December.

What's the issue with stock brakes that makes people change them?
 
PhilMorrison said:
What's the issue with stock brakes that makes people change them?

The front steels fracture from the vent holes such that you have to bin them due to the cracks long before they actually wear out (they are up to the job, but there are more cost effective alternatives). The rears on the 997.2 can warp (I know of 3 cases of this, including me). If you had ceramics then they typically are only good for somewhere between 10 and 20 track days before you need to replace. With a set costing about the same as a Ford Focus, most will place them in a box and switch to aftermarket steel before it comes to that.

As for pads - if you are somewhere brake intensive like Spa, Silverstone or anywhere with a hairpin at the end of a 140mph straight then the OE sport pads will not usually make it to the end of the third day of track use.

Or put another way - it is cheaper not to use OE and you spend less time replacing them.

The people on here are mostly a mixture of Alcon, Performance Friction and Brembo race disks and Performance Friction, Pagid or Endless pads.
 
So the callipers are fine? I've got steels. I've already got a full set of RS29's here for when the standard pads go kaput. Do people just replace the discs with a grooved Performance Friction disc? We've had good experience with them.
 
PhilMorrison said:
So the callipers are fine? I've got steels. I've already got a full set of RS29's here for when the standard pads go kaput. Do people just replace the discs with a grooved Performance Friction disc? We've had good experience with them.

The calipers are fine. Even Nick (NXI20) hasn't felt a need to replace them, unlike most of the other bits that Porsche attached to his car when it was originally built :thumb:

You do indeed want grooved disks. PF are fine, though I don't think that they have an option for the rear on a 997.2 yet (due to the handbrake setup)? I have Alcons on mine, though I haven't been on track since I switched the rears over to those. Likewise the latest pads - I have a set of the new Pagid RSL1 in there for the next DN.
 
Disco said:
PhilMorrison said:
So the callipers are fine? I've got steels. I've already got a full set of RS29's here for when the standard pads go kaput. Do people just replace the discs with a grooved Performance Friction disc? We've had good experience with them.

The calipers are fine. Even Nick (NXI20) hasn't felt a need to replace them, unlike most of the other bits that Porsche attached to his car when it was originally built :thumb:

You do indeed want grooved disks. PF are fine, though I don't think that they have an option for the rear on a 997.2 yet (due to the handbrake setup)? I have Alcons on mine, though I haven't been on track since I switched the rears over to those. Likewise the latest pads - I have a set of the new Pagid RSL1 in there for the next DN.

8) ...ah, you mentioned those magic letters ''DN''...can't come along too
soon... :grin:
 
Porsche News said:
There are actually enough threads on GT3 Mod and projects within THIS SITE 8)


:D

True, but if you want the money chucking at the situation mods Rennlist is a lesson.

911uk is more refined...

:thumb:
 
Disco said:
The calipers are fine. Even Nick (NXI20) hasn't felt a need to replace them, unlike most of the other bits that Porsche attached to his car when it was originally built :thumb:

Ha, Matt & I were only discussing the other day the need for them to be rebuilt or replaced at the end of this season ;)

You do indeed want grooved disks. PF are fine, though I don't think that they have an option for the rear on a 997.2 yet (due to the handbrake setup)?

Brembo race discs last longer than the PF slotted & the price is similar. I used PF for 5 years and am now on 380mm Brembos. The Brembos are holding up very well so that's the route I would go. PF do make rear discs for the 997.2 (including the handbrake gubbins) but they are really expensive at ~£1500 + VAT. I'm very happy with my Alcon rears on PCCB bells.
 
997 doesnt need a whole lot doing to be a quick car, brakes for cost effectiveness, lsd probably, rose joint the rear control arms, bin the pasm maybe.

But, thats a lot to get away with on a waranty'd car...
 

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
124,029
Messages
1,436,512
Members
48,421
Latest member
MainA
Back
Top